Polarity

Gabrielle

Hi We are in Spain and just hooked up, we noticed when we checked the polarity that only 2 lights lit up which meant no earth. Are we ok to still be plugged in ? Don’t want to set on fire Cheers Gabrielle.

Should be ok as long as not using things like a metal electric kettle, most other goods these days are earth free. but either fit and earth spick if worried or dont use the mains.

Thank you Trevskoda, not using an electric kettle, what about my hairdryer. Hubby says no .
If you're hubbies hair is owt like mine he doesn't need a hair dryer anyway;)
Seriously, the issue is caused by a floating supply, loads of places on the continent are like it, not really an issue. But if you're in any doubt then plastic cased/double insulated appliances or having just one single non double insulated appliance plugged in at any one time is a belts and braces reassurance.

Thank you , I’ve survived the hairdryer, I asked hubby to plug it in , he said no chance lol. I’m holding out for a hero . Seriously you put my mind at ease .

You can reverse the polarity by simply turning the two pin plug on your connecting cable through 180 degrees at the hook up point.
It never killed us, in 20 years, Allegedly.

You can reverse the polarity by simply turning the two pin plug on your connecting cable through 180 degrees at the hook up point.
It never killed us, in 20 years, Allegedly.
Not a good idea to reverse at charge point, ok at a device like a plastic h drier etc.

Polarity and switches on 230V sockets seems to be a UK thing. Just pull the plugs out and never rely on the switches. Also applies to inverters which often have live feeds on both wires.

Back