Porridge

Penny13

We love porridge but find cleaning the saucepan afterwards a pain it’s very messy and sticks. Any tips excluding buying ready made as the point is it cheap and healthy. We also don’t like it with salt.

The wife makes hers in the microwave in the bowl she`s going to eat it out of this includes when we are away in the motorhome.

We have a decent Sterling Inverter to enable her to do this whilst off grid.

Soak the oats in the pan with milk overnight.
Then bring to the summer gently.
Requires patience and forward planning..
That's why the general public have been coerced into to paying out for packaged, chemical-stuffed, expensive instant goo. .

Summer? Auto correct strikes again.. !
You don't have to wait until summer...
Just SIMMER..

Thanks Jenny porridge is winter food lol. I think it’s better when I do that also cooking slowly helps.

My most beloved makes it in much the same way as @Wooie1958 does and it only takes a limited few minutes to make, stopping the microwave every 2 to 3 mins. to give it a stir, then when it is finished cooking she folds in 2 hefty great spoons of crème fraiche.......... yum, yum!

Washing up is then an absolute doddle.

So how many people still make their porridge the Scottish way using only oats, salt and water?

Milk with some water and do not make it too thick.
I used to put some salt and usually add honey or marmalade once it is cooked.
However a Scots friend from the Outer Hebrides said NO SALT !
Cleaning a non-stick pan no problem !
As others have posted care with the cooking !
PS do not put the washing up water down the sink to the greywaste tank.

Use a silicone spatula to get it out of the pan. Because it is ‘bendy’ you can get it all out and your pan will be clean.

Porridge 'ding' is the quickest and easiest and it's not just for brekkies, it's good any time of day :)

Single portion... 1 measure of oats to 1 measure of milk, cook on 'full (800w) for 2.5 mins, stir well for about a minute+, return and cook for 30 secs
***watch carefully at this stage ...finger on the stop button if it looks like boiling over, give it another 30 secs or not, to suit.

Measure: I use a small plastic cup that came with a travel kettle
Milk: the purists will say use water ...do whatever suits you ;)
Oats: Tesco's 75p/kilo work for me

NB if you like 'sloppy' add more milk at the stirring stage, if you like it near solid ...wait 3-4 mins :)

Thanks guys will try tomorrow and buy a bendy spatula. Don’t ever empty much down my sink ;)

wash the pan out as soon its finished cooking.........failing that....steep pan in cold water for a good while.......sorted

Reactions: Rec
jug oats chocy powder,5x5 mins in m/wave then honey or jam,add milk if to thick.
Pots and pans went out with nelsons eye.

Penny you don't get an offer like that every day.

Just soak the night before.
Requires no cooking.
Just use the bowls you eat out of.
Add some Greek yougurt to top it off in the morning.
Easy.
You remind me of folk who eat cornflakes and others with cold milk rather than cook it in hot milk,tight g-t(y)

I mix and match hot and cold milk and all flakes and muesli are fine in cold... but I could never, ever do Weetabix, Shredded Wheat or porridge cold :eek:

Penny, I didn't realise your thread was over here too... I answered over there :LOL:

We put oats in boiling water, leave for as long as it takes to drink tea and remember the porridge. Then heat very gently adding a splash of milk just before serving. Cold water into pan (scraped with silicone spatula first) immediately and no problem cleaning. Sometimes use sultana's to give variety, or top with cinnamon and Demerara. I hate porridge though, just make enough for Dave :sick:

If you do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got.

I tell my 3 year old, try new things 10 times, then if you still don’t like it stop.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back