Portable battery jumper pack for the MH

GMJ

Up until my battery went flat and I went to jump it with my BoltPower D28, I was well impressed with said Bolt Power. It's a still a great bit of kit and as rare as hens teeth now (and mine is new and unused!!!) so it seems however the jumper leads are not long enough to reach the battery connection points in the Ducato engine bay.

So whilst it is a nifty piece of kit its not much use for the MH...or at least the Ducato based MH's.

So I am after a small, portable battery jumper kit to carry in the MH. I have one of the large yellow jobbies with torch, compressor etc all attached but I'm after something a bit smaller, compact and lighter.

Do any of you folks carry such a thing?

If so I'd be all ears.

Thanks

Up until my battery went flat and I went to jump it with my BoltPower D28, I was well impressed with said Bolt Power. It's a still a great bit of kit and as rare as hens teeth now (and mine is new and unused!!!) so it seems however the jumper leads are not long enough to reach the battery connection points in the Ducato engine bay.

So whilst it is a nifty piece of kit its not much use for the MH...or at least the Ducato based MH's.

So I am after a small, portable battery jumper kit to carry in the MH. I have one of the large yellow jobbies with torch, compressor etc all attached but I'm after something a bit smaller, compact and lighter.

If so I'd be all ears.

Thanks
A more modern/dependable and lighter/cheaper solution might be the Ablemail AMT 12 at £64.95 from David at Wildebus. There is Option 9, to make a permanent connection from the Leisure Battery that will pulse a charge to the Starter Battery ('SB') for 9 seconds in every 10, bringing a sluggish SB back up to a decent voltage in about 15-20 minutes. If the connection is left in situ, the electric pulse should stop the SB dropping to flat status in the first instance!

Steve

I have a noco gb40, larger units available, which will start 6L petrol and 3L diesel motors.
Glove box size and usb recharge.
keep it in the berlingo and have started a load of works vans. So know it works well.

I only ever carry a set of long jump leads, but never used them.

If I ever did need a jump start I'd send Yvonne around to the nearest vehicle as she seems to have the ability to charm the birds down from the trees. 🙂

I have a noco gb40, larger units available, which will start 6L petrol and 3L diesel motors.
Glove box size and usb recharge.
keep it in the berlingo and have started a load of works vans. So know it works well.

Thanks. can I ask what length the leads are?

Needing to jump start shouldn’t happen too often so when it does you could lift the floor plate and jump directly to the battery.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
They all seem to have ridiculously short leads whether they'd even be long enough to use on the battery is doubtful. Be a pity to do it but lengthening the leads seems like the only option

I've been a bit silly here really.

If I pull back the passenger carpet and release the floor panel I can access the battery easily and the leads on my Bolt Power will reach.

I am fully prepared for any slandering now coming my way
hehe.gif

I've got a kit that I've used to jump start my van a few times. It'll do it about 5 or 6 times before it needs a recharge too.
The kit that came with it includes an accessory socket that I've used to plug my tyre pump into for the back wheels a few times.
It's small enough to fit into a door pocket on my van.
I bought from a site called mobilesolarchargers.co.uk late in 2020 for about £110, so not cheap, but has been reliable.
"MSC Overland + IP65 18000mAh 5v,12v,19v Power bank and 12v jump starter"

20220509_105255.jpg20220509_105449.jpg

They all seem to have ridiculously short leads whether they'd even be long enough to use on the battery is doubtful. Be a pity to do it but lengthening the leads seems like the only option
I have the Noco and whilst it won’t reach the earth point I find connecting the negative to a good hunk of unpainted engine works fine. Excellent emergency starter.

The Ducato with its battery under the floor can be a pain to get to, but within the engine compartment are purpose made jump start points that are maybe 12” apart. On the right hand side is a vertical earth point, and under the flap of the fuse/relay box is the hot/live point. Both very easy to get to.

The Ducato with its battery under the floor can be a pain to get to, but within the engine compartment are purpose made jump start points that are maybe 12” apart. On the right hand side is a vertical earth point, and under the flap of the fuse/relay box is the hot/live point. Both very easy to get to.
The citroen relay is the same as is the pug

If so I'd be all ears.

Thanks
I have a small lithium jump start box which I find handy.
Initially bought one to give away as a prize on my own Forum back in 2016 and decided to try it first on my dead VW LT battery. So impressed with it, kept it and bought another as the prize :)
The one I have is spec'ed to start engines upto 5L and it did my LTs 2.8L no worries on a few occasions until I got round to replacing the starter battery.
Not used on the vans for years, but have used on the car twice when the battery has gone randomly flat. Dead useful to have and would recommend one.
Can't recommend the one I have specifically though as it is no longer listed on Amazon (these products tend to get new listings frequently on Amazon so the old links don't work).
They all have short jump leads though, as they can be sat in the engine bay, unlike the old lead jump packs - which is why they had to have long leads. Not had to try in on the Ducato but I would be surprised if the jump points were not accessible with it? Might have to have a look to see now!

I reported back on this a while ago. The leads on my BoltPower are not long enough for the engine bay however using better logic I realised that it was easy enough job to access the vehicle battery in the front passenger footwell, where the leads will easily reach.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back