Portable toilet questions

Just wondering if we were doing it right and you have just confirmed that we are.
Cheers. David.
No! You’ve only confirmed your doing the same as me?

Reactions: Rec
Doesn't cheap cola also clean the cassette quite effectively after emptying? 17p a bottle for cheapo stuff! Don't have one myself ( composting for us) but have read about it.

Doesn't cheap cola also clean the cassette quite effectively after emptying? 17p a bottle for cheapo stuff! Don't have one myself ( composting for us) but have read about it.
What is a composting toilet?

We just got back home today after three nights away. We used the Thetford green chemical instead of a bio detergent capsule. I'm going to leave emptying the toilet until tomorrow and see how the smell is after four days — and the weather has been pretty hot!

I like the idea of the sterilising tablet. I think we'll try that.

Thanks again everyone.

What is a composting toilet?
Composting loos are part of a waterless system. Can buy them ready made (quite dear) or diy. A box with a separator so urine is collected separately from no. 2s. That is collected in a bucket, covered with sawdust or, in our case, wood cat litter. If well covered there is no smell. Collected and disposed of in home compost heap where, after approx a year it is completely broken down and is usable compost. The humanure book is a good reference or Google it! We only use our loo when nothing else available so we can be away for six weeks before it needs emptying.

Composting loos are part of a waterless system. Can buy them ready made (quite dear) or diy. A box with a separator so urine is collected separately from no. 2s. That is collected in a bucket, covered with sawdust or, in our case, wood cat litter. If well covered there is no smell. Collected and disposed of in home compost heap where, after approx a year it is completely broken down and is usable compost. The humanure book is a good reference or Google it! We only use our loo when nothing else available so we can be away for six weeks before it needs emptying.
Very interesting.Thank you for your reply.I will research more on line although not sure if we would go down this route. Quite happy with the portapotty and the bio tablets at present.
Cheers.

If there is a lot of what looks like limescale then it is nearly impossible to get rid of the smell till it has gone. Get some citric acid powder (Amazon do it) and make up a solution of about 100g per litre and descale it. That will probably help cure it. Total fix for me
i that is me use fabulosa 3 in 1 lavender concentrated disinfectant 500ml to make 20 litres =£1 ok pj.

Never tried coke,
But the teeth cleaning tablets are pennies for quite a lot of them

Reactions: Rec
We blamed the toilet then discovered that the 'Orible Stink was coming from the sink and so always travel with the plug in. I've reduced it a lot by steralising the tank after emptying it, by pouring in about an eggcup of Milton (Baby Steralising liquid is cheap and doesnt smell too obnoxious). Add some fresh water and then leave for a few days. At the start of the season I also use Milton to steralise the fresh water tank added to 10L of clean water. Travel for a few miles to shake it about, then drain and add 10L, shake again, drain and repeat.

I started using the bio washing liquid a few years ago, as I hate the smell of the commercial toilet additives,
Had no problems, but did notice a build up of lime scale over time, and a toilet smell now and again, even after emptying and rinsing out,
I overcame this by occasionally filling the cassette to the brim with clean water and dropping in a couple of ”Sterident” type tablets used to clean false teeth, then leaving overnight before emptying and rinsing out,,,Morrison’s own make are only coppers to buy,
They work a treat, and leave a pristine cassette with no residual smells at all, I use them every few months.
Never had a problem since,
hope your teeth are ok. pj

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back