Portugal and lpg.

snapster

So, here we are in Northern Portugal with 1 1/4 refillable 11kg bottles of LPG so, thought I would fill up.
Eventually found a petrol station with LPG but, despite reading that Portuguese adapters were the same as French ones, the garage pump was different again
Is this common in Portugal or do most garages use the Euro nozzle type pump?

Most use the cup type adaptor.
Usually if you ask at the paypoint, they will help you... Just show them your adaptor and look quizzical..

I tried the quizzical approach and he went into the shop and came out with two screw in adapters, unfortunately, neither fitted as there was nothing for them to screw into!
I’ll try another garage later to see if they use the cup type.

if there is no screw are you sure you haven’t got an adaptor already screwed in ! the uk bayonet type normally has a screw thread in the centre

I have found several places are now using the Euro nozzle, the same as Spain.
I these outlets have the adaptors for sale.

Back in Spain now, we’ll probably wait till next week till we are back in France to fill up, and buy more nozzle adapters when we get home.
Still got a full tank and a few inches of gas in the other. Makes a difference when it’s 18 degrees outside and you don’t need the heating on!

Our adapters screw into the bayonet fitting. Trouble is, the garages we have tried have adapters but the threads are too small to fit the thread inside the bayonet.
Never mind, heading back towards France now. If the weather stays as warm as it is, we have at least 12 days of gas left

Portugal has changed (overnight I’m told) to the Euro-nozzle. I’ve been to at least a half-dozen GPL stations and all are Euro-nozzles. I tried to buy an adaptor locally but as usual it was ‘mañana’ so ordered one sent over from the UK. Fits perfect. Some Portuguese filling stations not helpful. Some not only helpful but pretty as well!

The Galp station at Faro, on the WEST side of the N125
N 37° 01.721'
W 7° 54.351'
Had a bag full of the Euro adaptors last week.

Check that the adapter thread is the correct size, most/some are for refuelling lpg powered vehicles and won’t fit Motorhome applications.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back