Portugal road trip by the coast, Porto to Faro

arkiboys

Hello,
My wife and I are planning a road trip by car or motorhome
Can you help me find a route for this topic?
🙂

Thankyou

Campsite, Aires, or wildcamping.?

What timescale ?
In a hurry or happy to pootle along ? Motorways are mainly tolled and boring.
The RN 2 is a more interesting route south, free and you'll see some of the real Portugal.

Look up Camping cars Portugal.pt

Aires are in all sorts of places, but will be crammed full in high season. The Algarve, especially.

The further south you go, the hotter it will be.
Parking near beaches, will be difficult . The north and interior would be better and cooler.

We first arrived here for Xmas 1999 and never really went back.
The people are generally pro-British and delightful
But all the sharks, near the beaches aren't always big nasty fish.. There are some even nastier humans prowling to take advantage of holidaymakers.
Avoid all the coast between Faro and Lagos. It's more like Blackpool in the olden days.... You could be in any modern resort.
Come down and allow yourself a relaxing journey back.
That's just my current thoughts.
If you need help, we never close.
Boa Viagem.

Campsite, Aires, or wildcamping.?

What timescale ?
In a hurry or happy to pootle along ? Motorways are mainly tolled and boring.
The RN 2 is a more interesting route south, free and you'll see some of the real Portugal.

Look up Camping cars Portugal.pt

Aires are in all sorts of places, but will be crammed full in high season. The Algarve, especially.

The further south you go, the hotter it will be.
Parking near beaches, will be difficult . The north and interior would be better and cooler.

We first arrived here for Xmas 1999 and never really went back.
The people are generally pro-British and delightful
But all the sharks, near the beaches aren't always big nasty fish.. There are some even nastier humans prowling to take advantage of holidaymakers.
Avoid all the coast between Faro and Lagos. It's more like Blackpool in the olden days.... You could be in any modern resort.
Come down and allow yourself a relaxing journey back.
That's just my current thoughts.
If you need help, we never close.
Boa Viagem.
Apart from Mikki’s place that is , nr albufeira, a real gem of a camp site🤣🤣

Also the coast road from sines to , villa nova de milfontes ( which is also Ano nice place)

Last edited:
Apart from Mikki’s place that is , nr albufeira, a real gem of a camp site🤣🤣

Also the coast road from sines to , villa nova de milfontes ( which is also Ano nice place)
Yeh, but you been there in July and August ? .

Love that coast road North, especially Aljesur, and the beaches to the north.
It's difficult to find on Google maps.. I think that's deliberate!

If you find it, you've just got to try the Pork and Clams ..

Depends on the time of year. Avoid high season as too hot in the south and as said, the Algarve will be full! Just got back from Spain /Portugal (90 days) mainly travelling north of Lisbon for last two months. We find campsites in Portugal tend to be a bit basic although some are good, plenty of Aires and wild camping but be careful not to wild camp in National Parks as it can get very expensive if there’s a knock on the door!
Places to visit? Anywhere really. Between Lisbon and Porto plenty of coastal towns/villages - some favourites - Ericeira, Nazare, Costa Lavos (check on P4N). Inland there are many places worth a visit, too many to mention.
On the coast a few Kms south of Porto there is a municipal campground that is cheap and cheerful and either an 8k bike ride or cheap bus into Porto.
On the whole, lots to see and discover but take it easy and enjoy. Oh, and yes - avoid the toll roads!!!

Back