Portugal & Spain wild camping

• Thread starter Deleted member 5467
  • Start date

Deleted member 5467

We recently posted a thread asking for people’s comments and thoughts on travelling to either Spain or Italy. Loads of really helpful replies “thanks so much”. Unfortunately due to recent outbreak of corona virus have now changed our ferry to Spain, it maybe there is the same issue later there to but for now wanted to secure my crossing!

SOooo - now that decision is made would love to hear of your comments on Spain & Portugal. We would like to wild camp if poss but if not cheap camping sites or aires (sostas ). Any recommendations or warnings please. I already know Barcelona is pickpocket land. We did go Peñíscola & Valencia last year which we loved. Would really like to go down to Cadiz this year but any other suggestions would be appreciated as well as rules for wild camping in Spain & Portugal pls! we are looking more Atlantic side this year as we are going in June.

We recently posted a thread asking for people’s comments and thoughts on travelling to either Spain or Italy. Loads of really helpful replies “thanks so much”. Unfortunately due to recent outbreak of corona virus have now changed our ferry to Spain, it maybe there is the same issue later there to but for now wanted to secure my crossing!

SOooo - now that decision is made would love to hear of your comments on Spain & Portugal. We would like to wild camp if poss but if not cheap camping sites or aires (sostas ). Any recommendations or warnings please. I already know Barcelona is pickpocket land. We did go Peñíscola & Valencia last year which we loved. Would really like to go down to Cadiz this year but any other suggestions would be appreciated as well as rules for wild camping in Spain & Portugal pls! we are looking more Atlantic side this year as we are going in June.
All the area books, Spain & Portugal.
Cadiz is a lovely place as well as Seville.

Our sister website.. Wildcamping.co.uk.
Has a long and carefully checked list in its P.O.I. forum.
Also Google " motorhome welcome Algarve "
There is plenty of information on the European travel forums on both sites.
Have fun and adventures.

Many beaches here have no motorhome signs up but you can always find a village just inland and park up for the night best if you leave it till after 5pm you should not have any problem's there is a few aires but I never use then so I can't help that's one of the reasons I changed my motorhome and got a P.S.V van a friend kitted it out for me but left out what was needed to change it to a motorhome that way it styed as a PSV , :D

Many beaches here have no motorhome signs up but you can always find a village just inland and park up for the night best if you leave it till after 5pm you should not have any problem's there is a few aires but I never use then so I can't help that's one of the reasons I changed my motorhome and got a P.S.V van a friend kitted it out for me but left out what was needed to change it to a motorhome that way it styed as a PSV , :D
Are the locals general supportive unlike the authorities and I guess it’s a case of being sensitive and treating the area as u would expect to find it if not better!!!

Locals are ok with it new faces in the village even if you just have a coffee of pick up some fresh bread in the morning there happy.

I live in central Portugal and have had no trouble wild camping,often finding that the police (gnr) ride past on horseback and give a wave. I think it is all down to being sensible and respect where you park.

Every week seems to bring another Aire opening along the Algarve.
Yes, you have to pay a small sum for the popular ones on the coast.
But they really want to encourage MH visiting in the Inland towns and villages.. Bringing trade and income.
It's a different world, away from the holiday resorts.

Unfortunately due to recent outbreak of corona virus have now changed our ferry to Spain,
Trouble with that is you'll be confined in a air conditioned ship sharing the air with all on ferry for at least 24 hrs

From Calais to the Med you’ll be spoilt for choice of Aires. It’s a totally different way of motorhoming from the one we have to put up with at home.

https://ibb.co/album/1ZfYvK Ville Real d san Antonio , first Aire on the Algarve pay , lovely town harbour , beaches etc, boat trip across the river to Ayamonte Spain, directly opposite the Aire, wild camping at Ayamonte too,

https://ibb.co/album/DLLLKv Praia d Roche great wild camping place coastal walks good town close to Portimao, bus opposite the squate to Portimao worth a bus ride super city, we were there for New Years Eve super firework display, Toilet dump at the wild camp place, lift sewer cover Escotas.

https://ibb.co/album/HCtkmT EL PORTO DE SANTA MARIA This is a good free Wild Camp place if you want to go to CADIZ, drive there from here easy but also a ferry there from the nearby harbour, great way to go, El PUERTO is a lovely town, Bull ring Castle harbour , Marina beaches Markets and car boot sale at the squat Sundays good cafe bar at the entrance to the squat too.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://ibb.co/album/gZdfQf Castro Marim Portugal has a good free aire, it is the first town you come to if entering Portugal from Spain from the East. all services pay water but when we were there recently the bourne had had an accident and water was free, if the aire is full you can park on the nearby car park , it says no vans but always about 30 on there, there is a Castle , salt pans and museum supermarket and lots of local shops, launderette good cafes to eat and drink, Windmills and churches , great town to visit, great views to Spain and the bridge.

OI. !
Give over...!
You're making our feet itch !
Not fair, when we're all locked down.

https://ibb.co/album/RGXRBW Alcacar do SAL, PORTRUGAL barragem and town wild camping, You might want to try the Barragems [ DAMS ] very popular with vanners many in Spain and Portugal, and many other countries too, shown here is Alcacar do SAL bgm and the town which has wild camping too, great place to visit, town with all your needs too.We were there just before Xmas last year.

https://ibb.co/album/rxfdNh BOM JESUS DE MONTES PORTUGAL. If you like Religious stuff and Churches etc this is a good place to visit, free parking for over nighting here too, no services though, quite an impressive place , a series of stairs take you to a couple of Chapels ? with statues and fresco's in them, then another set of stairs up to another pair of Chapels and so on, the views are getting better as you rise up, we got about 2 thirds of the way up on a hot day and decided we would go back to the van for lunch, we found that there is a vernicular railway we could have rode to the top after our long climb, as there was a huge cathedral at the top we figured we could drive up there so we took our van up, plenty of parking up there and we found a good over night spot, the Cathedral / large church was splendid and the views over the countryside amazing, well worth a visit anytime you are near. ALL is set in a beautiful parkland setting of many acres.

https://ibb.co/album/xKf96L SEGOVIA SPAIN Free aire at the Bull Ring super place to be, the Town is dominated by the huge Roman Aqueduct that is still intact, in the day water was brought via it from the Mountains many kilometres away and it fed the whole town, there is a super Castle and Cathedral to visit, all shops etc you will need, a must visit place .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back