Post Offices - what "rules" are yours using?

wildebus

I was just coming back from the Post Office this afternoon when I got a call from my sister, who mentioned she had tried to go to the Post Office today as well as it happens but had a different kind of experience ... hence this question.

In "my" Post Office, they continue to accept things just as before and with the same restrictions as before. So today I sent some sockets off to some eBay buyer, plus a Parcelforce package to Mr RAW here on the forum with stuff for his van; Earlier in the week I sent some gear off to Switzerland for a chap doing a VW T5 Camper Conversion.

In "her" Post Office, she tried to send a parcel to me that contained Easter Eggs. The Post Office refused to accept it as it was not an "essential item".

Has anyone here had anything rejected by the Post Office Counter that they would usually expect to send with no problem? Sounds like that particular Post Office she went to is operating under the same - incorrect - basis that some Police and Councils were before they were put straight. e.g.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52090441

witzend

Haven't tried to post anything since lock down as feel it isn't essential travel going to post office also haven't bought anything that would be delivered as thats not essential either. Seeing the working conditions in sorting offices on TV today no social distancing. Would be good to think of the post Office employees and not to send anything non essential. I notice we are getting very little junk mail if any so possibly the senders of that are thinking of PO staff

Campervanannie

My son sent 3 parcels Thursday no problem just doing the 2 mtr rule thing .

yorkslass

My son sent 3 parcels Thursday no problem just doing the 2 mtr rule thing .
The problem is in the depots. My son in law works from one and they havn't issued any ppe , not even hand gel. No social distancing in sorting areas. The only reason they stopped the junk mail deliveries was because of the number of complaints from customers.
The report yesterday, on the BBC lunchtime news, mysteriously vanished from the evening news....wonder why.

wildebus

Use Hermes, cheaper and you can get them to collect if you want to for something like 80p.
However ... NOT cheaper unless you are sending larger items over 2Kg in weight (my parcels are usually Small Parcels under 2Kg (£3.10) or Large Letters (84p) - find me a cheaper option then the Royal Mail.
And ... I like my packages to arrive undamaged in one piece - so I NEVER use My Hermes.

St3v3

However ... NOT cheaper unless you are sending larger items over 2Kg in weight (my parcels are usually Small Parcels under 2Kg (£3.10) or Large Letters (84p) - find me a cheaper option then the Royal Mail.
And ... I like my packages to arrive undamaged in one piece - so I NEVER use My Hermes.
Starts at £2.26

Screenshot_20200411-121338_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've used as selling and mostly receiving and can say nothing bad about them. All companies will cock up at some point though.

wildebus

To be totally honest, I can say very little good about Hermes. With no exaggeration, over 50% of the parcels are damaged in some same in terms of packaging, and very rarely do they ever arrive when they are meant to. Maybe Hermes will NOT cock up on such a repetative basis at some time?

DPD - no problems ever. Post Office - 100% reliable. My Hermes - Pah!

PS. that £2.26 is for a "parcel" no more than 3cm deep. Royal Mail Large Letter has a limit of 2.5cm, so only 5mm difference and that is 86p. How much is their >30mm price? (most of my parcels are a minimum of 43mm in thickness).

Vanterrier

My experience recently has not been good... i won some dvd's on ebay and the seller contacted me to say her PO (Alloa) had stopped accepting small parcels. I said no prob I will get Hermes to collect. First collection date passed and I had to rearrange, second collection date passed and the tracking info was not even updated and theres no easy way to complain and get some action, meanwhile the seller advised the PO was now accepting parcels as there had been a mix up of rules so everything was changed over again.
Hermes... used them loads with ebay sales but have had mixed service. Normally they are ok but when they are bad they are absolutely useless
K 😩

Allen

It's no wonder the virus is spreading.
Since when is posting a parcel essential travel!
I'm stuck at home unable to see anyone...not even family.
And then there's them that ignore the rule and spread the bloody thing.
We'll be in lockdown for months and there'll be many unnecessary deaths...all because folks think the rules don't apply to them.
Ffs...

Vanterrier

In my case "recently" was before the current restrictions.
K.

Last edited:

Minisorella

It's no wonder the virus is spreading.
Since when is posting a parcel essential travel!
I'm stuck at home unable to see anyone...not even family.
And then there's them that ignore the rule and spread the bloody thing.
We'll be in lockdown for months and there'll be many unnecessary deaths...all because folks think the rules don't apply to them.
Ffs...
I understand why you're saying this but there's no rule in place against ordering stuff online. A lots of businesses are surviving purely because they're adapting to online sales. Parcels out means there are going to be some parcels going back... plus there's eBay and so on - all of it legit. Personally, I don't want to go anywhere unless I absolutely have to, so definitely not going to the Post Office. eCards are great and there are always vouchers for pressies.

Markd

I've sent a large letter that I wanted proof of posting for from my local sub PO - no problems as she was behind her glass screen with external ventilation as usual and only one person at a time on customer service.
Yes for me as it wasn't work unlike Wildebus it wasn't an essential item but the PP is next to Tesco so only one journey and 10 yards exercise.
I'm buying a lot of stuff on the interwebs and all being delivered as expected.
My experience of Hermes is not great and whilst our local agent takes care enough I don't know what pleasure the long distance depots get in playing football or how much stuff can we put on top games which is where the damage probably occurs.

wildebus

I've sent a large letter that I wanted proof of posting for from my local sub PO - no problems as she was behind her glass screen with external ventilation as usual and only one person at a time on customer service.
Yes for me as it wasn't work unlike Wildebus it wasn't an essential item but the PP is next to Tesco so only one journey and 10 yards exercise.
I'm buying a lot of stuff on the interwebs and all being delivered as expected.
My experience of Hermes is not great and whilst our local agent takes care enough I don't know what pleasure the long distance depots get in playing football or how much stuff can we put on top games which is where the damage probably occurs.
I should clarify one thing .... When I go to the Post Office, that visit is always combined with other activities such as shopping for fresh food (and right now, the food shopping is the Co-op - no queues until at Sainsburys, plenty of produce so get just about everything on the list in one hit and minimal interaction :)

One comment also about the Post Office ... I use a feature they offer called "Drop and Go". Basically, you charge up a card with money and you can then just drop the stuff to be posted at the counter to be processed.
Main benefit in 'normal' times is that you can bypass the queue and save time (I would just go in front of the queue and say to the lady behind the counter "some Drop and Go" or words to that effect and leave it with them and so save having to wait), but in this current climate it means you could just leave it with them and minimize any contact, while including a note with the items with any instructions such as "proof of postage required please".
Might be worthwhile people looking into this as it may well help both parties to reduce their social interaction? There is no minimum amount of posting required to get one and it also means you have an on-line record of posting. Example below (with some redaction for privacy purposes).

1586800456245.png

I think Hermes Depots are as big a problem as the couriers - they just don't seem to care how packages are treated :(

Markd

Drop and go sounds handy if you're posting regularly.
I'm afraid I use ours very infrequently and most times there's on one or two in the queue.
I think she's pretty all day but it's never a long wait.
Last week I approached as the previous customer was coming out - the sort of queue I can handle 😀

wildebus

The OH has got a My Hermes parcel that is "arriving before 8PM today". everyday for the last three days it has been the same update.
We don't hold our breath with My Hermes.

My DPD parcel was meant to arrive "TODAY, 14th April ‍2020 between ‍13:27-‍14:27" - And it did.