Prong from lightbulb broken off in socket

JanettaVienetta

Free Member

Hello everyone, hoping someone can advise me. My reading light has started to flash when I switched it on. This would happen once, then no light. To my surprise it also happened when I switched it off. I took the bulb out and found it was missing a prong. When I checked the light I found the prong in the socket, firmly wedged in. Any ideas what can be done about this? Photos attached.
Thanks, Janet5B5B9973-CD87-42C9-AB64-E7FA7A0F3364.jpeg5B5B9973-CD87-42C9-AB64-E7FA7A0F3364.jpegC25CD11A-EEA7-431C-B30C-CCC72E9F78FE.jpeg5B5B9973-CD87-42C9-AB64-E7FA7A0F3364.jpegC25CD11A-EEA7-431C-B30C-CCC72E9F78FE.jpeg

Use a needle taking care not to touch any other metal parts try switching the 12v system off first. When you manage to get enough pin showing use tweezers to remove the pin.

If you cannot get a tool in there, a dab of superglue on the tip of the remaining prong on the bulb, then press and hold onto the broken prong until set and pull.

will that nut shown turn it looks as though it might, the welds seem to just hold the arms, if it will come off it should be easier to work on or remove the holder and use tweezers as suggested or get a new bulb holder.

put super glue on the prong left on old bulb and push onto the stuck one ,after a few mins it should pull the broken one out.

If all else fails, try pushing it further in. You might be able to get a new lamp in there.

Thanks everybody. I will try the suggestions without superglue first. I can see me gluing myself to the thing if I’m not careful!

A fine tube of some sort glued and pressed over the broken pin seems a good way to remove the pin as it would have more glued area than trying to stick it just to the broken tip ?? maybe the plastic tube that comes with WD 40 ?

Hello everyone. Thank you for all your help. In the end it was a combination of all the suggestions which did the trick. I managed to tease the prong out slightly with a needle but couldn’t get a grip with the tweezers. So I put a tiny drop of superglue on the end of a pin (with moral support from a friend!), and held it on to the prong for the required time. That wasn’t strong enough to pull it out, so I tried with the tweezers again. I think the superglue must have given extra grip for the tweezers, because I managed to pull the offending prong out. Result!
Janetta

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back