Pros and cons of converting heating to LPG and solar

GarethHowell

Hi All
I am just in the process of changing to a just-purchased 2014 Auto-Cruise Rhythm.

We plan to spend quite a bit of time off-grid and wild camping so there are a couple of things I am considering changing:
1. change to an underslung LPG for heating/cooking instead of Calor
2. Adding a solar panel to keep the battery topped up.

Is there anything specific I should be taking into consideration?

Gareth

Hi All
I am just in the process of changing to a just-purchased 2014 Auto-Cruise Rhythm.

We plan to spend quite a bit of time off-grid and wild camping so there are a couple of things I am considering changing:
1. change to an underslung LPG for heating/cooking instead of Calor
2. Adding a solar panel to keep the battery topped up.

Is there anything specific I should be taking into consideration?

Gareth
well, for point #2 don't forget to get a Solar Controller as well ;)

(I know this seems an obvious point, but may not be based on the previous owners setup of one of our members new motorhomes, where the Solar Panel was connected directly to the Leisure Battery. 18V directly into a 12V battery! ouch!!)

I fitted a 38ltr under slung tank nearly 7 years ago from auto 2000 at Thirsk and never looked back.As far as solar is concerned you want to fit as many as you can get on your roof as in the winter unless you can tilt them you don’t a lot out of them .I fitted 400watts and never had a prob with them and I run a 12v compressor fridge best of luck.49D766C7-BD17-4824-87F6-617AB0162C8B.jpeg

That tank is massive .
Is that a 30barr vale in pic and it runs to the isolator vales x4 switches
ive got.a donut tank at 35 ltr will it be enough for waterheater shower, oven van heating via propex,plus 2 burners and fridge.?

A 38 litre tank is not massive. It will only hold about 15KG of LPG. My 70 litre tank is just about big enough, but I'd not want a smaller one.

Lots of good points.
We got 2x11kg refillable and 1 x 120Watt Solar with 1 LB
However 2 LB is better and more solar (we are fitting a new pair of LB now)
BUT we only use the vehicle from April to September..but 100%
Diesel heating an option but all depends on pocket and fitting/changing.
We already has Gas CH (truma blown air) so diesel heating seemed an unnecessary additional change !
Conclusion...
  • Solar and refillable LPG definitely
  • Diesel heating maybe

Lots of good points.
We got 2x11kg refillable and 1 x 120Watt Solar with 1 LB
However 2 LB is better and more solar (we are fitting a new pair of LB now)
BUT we only use the vehicle from April to September..but 100%
Diesel heating an option but all depends on pocket and fitting/changing.
We already has Gas CH (truma blown air) so diesel heating seemed an unnecessary additional change !
Conclusion...
  • Solar and refillable LPG definitely
  • Diesel heating maybe
Diesel heating make no sense in your situation. I know it's fashionable, but I advise against it.

Diesel heating make no sense in your situation. I know it's fashionable, but I advise against it.
I was referring to the OP !
I thought my post was clear that diesel heating would be no good for us !..
We have gas heating and only use vehicle in the summer

Changing to a gas tank instead of buying refills for Calor makes sense if you have somewhere local you can fill up and/or aren't planning on your off-grid and wild camping trips involving northern Scotland or other sparsely populated areas like mid Wales, where there are no places you can get pumped LPG.

Changing to a gas tank instead of buying refills for Calor makes sense if you have somewhere local you can fill up and/or aren't planning on your off-grid and wild camping trips involving northern Scotland or other sparsely populated areas like mid Wales, where there are no places you can get pumped LPG.
I always call into Ullapool to top up on my frequent trips way up north, I have 2 x 11kg Alugas cylinders which even in the depths of winter last an age.
i considered an underslung tank on my Pilote but always prefer having 2 cylinders with manual changeover. Run of one cylinder and when empty change onto full cylinder. If I had gone for a underslung tank I would also have carried a small Calor cylinder for piece of mind.

I have one refillable tank (21 Ltr) which I use most of the time plus a calor which I use when LPG runs out in a remote (i.e. non LPG) area. Before going abroad I use the Calor and replace it with a full one before the journey.

I think that's probably the best solution.

I always call into Ullapool to top up on my frequent trips way up north, I have 2 x 11kg Alugas cylinders which even in the depths of winter last an age.
i considered an underslung tank on my Pilote but always prefer having 2 cylinders with manual changeover. Run of one cylinder and when empty change onto full cylinder. If I had gone for a underslung tank I would also have carried a small Calor cylinder for piece of mind.
Hi Obanboy
Did you get your refillable fitted in Scotland, and if so, where?

I have a similar van to your Rhythm (Alto) and have a compressor fridge. I have 2 x 110 Leisure batteries and 2 x 100 solar panels. Works well in summer and just manage in winter when off grid. I have on occasions resorted to switching the fridge off over night depending what is in it.
Re the LPG - I have 1 refillable bottle and one calor exchange bottle - so far I have never needed to use the calor one, always managing to fill up somewhere. I also have an external BBQ point so cook on gas outside in the summer when weather permits.
Enjoy your van.

Leave the cooking to refillable lpg bottles and go diesel for heating....
Why? Diesel cost twice as much, diesel heaters use more 12v power, make more noise and need more maintenance. The only advantage is that you can buy cheap ones from China

Why? Diesel cost twice as much, diesel heaters use more 12v power, make more noise and need more maintenance. The only advantage is that you can buy cheap ones from China

Yes they use a bit more power (especially if temp controls aren't set efficiently)
No need for them to be overly noisy IF installed correctly
Fuel consumption wise they may seem to be more expensive to run on paper BUT from my own personal real world experience in use diesel is both cheaper to run and less pfaff than chasing round finding bulk lpg outlets for the refillable bottles....

When I bought my motorhome, it had an underslung tank and an 11 kg bottle in the locker. Of course I never used the bottle, so eventually I took it out. Turns out it was empty anyway.
Although the tank has a gauge, it's far from convenient, so I added a display inside. I simply top up whenever I see gas cheap, or at the start of a trip to somewhere remote. The tank easily lasts a month in winter, two months in summer. I'd never want the faff of having to switch cylinders over.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back