RAC Arrival from C&CC versus ADAC

So that would cover small camper vans, but only the very smallest motorhomes. Even my car is over both those limits.

Well I drive a very sensible self built LWB Renault Master which is just below the weight limit of the policy. As for any cars being over 2.5 tons, that simply goes to show how darned stupid cars, motorhomes and caravans are these days.......... none of my other vehicles come close to 1.5 tons let alone 2.5!

MillieMaster, I suspect that you are confusing the MIRO and the gross weight.
A Ford Focus with a small engine option (which is probably a typical middle-sized car) weighs 1320Kg empty.
Add five people at 65Kg each, and each of them with 20Kg of luggage, and you are at 1745Kg.
Presumably the design has some extra capacity over that. Probably GVW of about 1800 to 1850, at a guess.

Exhibit 1:
Page 5 of https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/AutoAid-1216-V3-0.pdf says:
"Motorised caravans can be covered provided they are under 2.5 tons gross vehicle weight and with an engine capacity of no more than 2500 cc, which is being driven by either you, or your legal spouse or civil partner. "

So that would cover small camper vans, but only the very smallest motorhomes. Even my car is over both those limits.

Exhibit 2:
From this page - https://secure.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/join.aspx - on the same website
Vehicle details are not required. As this is personal breakdown cover, you are covered in any eligible vehicle*.

*UK vehicles only. Private cars and motorcycles. Vans, pick-ups and motorised caravans will only be covered if they do not exceed 3.5tonnes gross vehicle weight.
Excluded vehicles are minibuses, vehicles used as taxis for private or public hire or vans used for business use.

There is a clear contradiction in the information and limits placed by Autoaid. It matters not to me as my van doesn't qualify on either.
The first link also talks about the policy holder has to be the driver of the vehicle rather than just an occupant.

Well I drive a very sensible self built LWB Renault Master which is just below the weight limit of the policy. As for any cars being over 2.5 tons, that simply goes to show how darned stupid cars, motorhomes and caravans are these days.......... none of my other vehicles come close to 1.5 tons let alone 2.5!
Phil, I think it might be worth a call/email to Autoaid to clarify which of their stipulations is correct. I suspect the "2.5 tons" is a typo as a 2.5t weight stipulation is rare and the use of "tons" rather than "tonnes" is even rarer in UK/Europe, but I would say the time to have an argument about semantics of cover is not when by the roadside broken down.

I'd suggest an email rather than a call. You will want it in writing, just in case...

I have the £110 any car i'm in one from the rac they will come and fix even at home and it has not gone up even though i so far have used them 3 years on the trot only once for the motorhome tho

kyran

I have the £110 any car i'm in one from the rac they will come and fix even at home and it has not gone up even though i so far have used them 3 years on the trot only once for the motorhome tho

kyran
That isn't for full EU cover, though. Does it include recovery to your choice of destination, or just to the nearest garage?

Page 5 of https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/AutoAid-1216-V3-0.pdf says:
"Motorised caravans can be covered provided they are under 2.5 tons gross vehicle weight and with an engine capacity of no more than 2500 cc, which is being driven by either you, or your legal spouse or civil partner. "

To add some context to the line above I have highlighted, The VW Transporter range is a very popular base for camper conversions. no T6 or T5 will ever be under the 2.5t GVW and even with the older T4 models from 1996 (I think?) onwards, there was only one model that fell under 2.5t. I think it was 2480Kg and was the T4 T800 Special ("Special" meaning stripped down with no extras in this case!). I actually had one of those and one benefit of being under 2.5t was that it was included in the original London LEZ, which automatically exempted any Motor Caravans under 2.5t from the charge, but not ones over 2.5t.
Not that relevant to the discussion I admit, but if any one is eyeing up a potential smaller van to convert and wondering what GVW it is likely to be, if it is the same kind of size as a VW Transporter, fairly unlikely to be under 2.5t

That isn't for full EU cover, though. Does it include recovery to your choice of destination, or just to the nearest garage?
took us home the first time took us to the P&P campers the second time and dragged us out of a ditch on the Scottish 500 route the third time

I lied it's gone up to £138 this year

kyran

I'd suggest an email rather than a call. You will want it in writing, just in case...

Ian;

I have just received an email reply from AutoAid breakdown, responding to my question about the upper weight limit and I am very pleased to pass on their email below, so I am well and truly covered for my 'Millie': -

Good Morning,

Thank you for your message.

We have extended our weight restriction to 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight for campervans, we are awaiting up to date wording for this.

Regards,

AutoAid

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back