Radio aerials

MarkJ

Free Member

Radio aerials

We have a Ducato based van. It came with the aerial in the wing mirror, which was rubbish. So I had fitted an old-fashioned aerial by the passenger door pillar.

Reception is perfect, wind noise is awful.

I'm thinking of changing to a windscreen aerial. Anyone got any good or bad experiences of them?

Thanks....

None at all, but be interested to find out. We had a short rubbery thing on the wing but kept losing reception. We now have one in the same place but longer, still rubbish.

Not tried a windscreen job. We have a roof mounted Peugeot(on a 2016 Boxer base) one. Its a fixed length/fold flat one in black about one foot long.Fantastic reception-never any problems.

yorkslass;n6582 said:
None at all, but be interested to find out. We had a short rubbery thing on the wing but kept losing reception. We now have one in the same place but longer, still rubbish.

I’ll report back if I do it!

I'll watch with interest too as my radio is crap my radio is a Blaupunkt my aerial is this. image.jpeg so don't know if it's the aerial or the radio lol

I tried a windscreen Ariel (and it was not a cheap one) , it was worse than the one built in the mirror, so back to plan B when I think what Plan B is

We had severe reception problems with FM reception in our Ducato. I replaced the set up with a mid-range Sony Dab radio, with a Halfords Dab aerial stuck to the winscreen. Reception is now perfect!

MarkJ;n6576 said:
We have a Ducato based van. It came with the aerial in the wing mirror, which was rubbish. So I had fitted an old-fashioned aerial by the passenger door pillar.

Reception is perfect, wind noise is awful.

I'm thinking of changing to a windscreen aerial. Anyone got any good or bad experiences of them?

Thanks....

The later VW T5s have aerials in the mirror. Pretty rubbish.
many of the earlier T5s had windscreen aerials. Very rubbish.

​​​​I fitted an Antennasystems DAB/FM roof-mounted aerial in my T5 to replace the factory screen one and the difference was night and day. My old LT has a standard roof aerial and that is really good as well.

personally I would never go for a windscreen FM aerial. I have fitted numerous DAB stick-on glass aerials and they have been remarkably good (getting a proper ground to them is vital and the step that is often missed and which leads to claims they don't work).
but best choice... rooftop.

I fitted a window aerial on the Adria Izola we had, couldn't believe they didn't have any radio aerial (the one that Renault fitted was left in the van but the wire was cut). I fitted a windscreen aerial which was a copper strip stuck at the top of the windscreen with the wires run down the inside of the door pillar. Most times it worked really well but could be a bit directional if the radio signal was weak. |Don't think it was very expensive think it was a Bosch but it was a well known brand.

Any aerial on a wing will be masked by the body,if you have a alloy roof then slap bang in the middle will be the best,high as you can for good reception.
If you have a grp roof then a ground plain of tin foil with a small alloy washer under for strength will work 100%.

Got one in my Rapido fitted from new would not entertain one hardly any reception anywhere.:poop_Emoji::Slightly_Smiling_Fa

St3v3;n7419 said:
Have you got a link to one by any chance?

Pretty sure I still have the box it came in. I'll check tomorrow.

it is not a cheap option BTW at £80 (that is typical best price, but it picked up signals where no car I have had ever had before, both FM and DAB (I live by numerous radio blackspots).

just a thaught

i have heard that if you have a roof mounted tv antenna and a booster some boosters have a radio antenna output on them so if the booster is left switched on it should pick up ok

may be worth running a bit of coax and try

barry

powerplus;n8394 said:
just a thaught

i have heard that if you have a roof mounted tv antenna and a booster some boosters have a radio antenna output on them so if the booster is left switched on it should pick up ok

may be worth running a bit of coax and try

barry

Tried that, it was no better. I even had to rig a separate power supply to the booster as the hab 12volt shut down at engine start.

All that running coax under the floor, and finding a way up to the radio. All to no avail. Harumph!

hi tugboat

thanks for letting me know that
saves me dooing it

barry

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back