Radio Connection

waynedoherty

Hi,

I have a Lunar Roadstar 786 on a Fiat Ducato 2.8 2005 cab. It has the original radio that I want to change. I removed the radio but found 2 white cables with bullet connect on it.

Anybody know what they are for.IMG_1221.jpg

Is the radio working with the connectors open that that?

They don't look original so if added could be for anything! power to SatNav? DashCam? for a switch to turn something on and off? piece of string time

Electric aerial maybe ? Trace and tell us all please... the suspense is a killer. :)

Connection for electric step warning light. Do you have an electric step... if so put it out then connect a meter or test lamp to your wires... do they light when ignition is on and step out. Then bring step in and see if it goes out. Just guessing but I have a set up like that and my warning light is beside radio...

Check the voltage on them, ignition on/off. and to ground , resistance between them/earth if no voltage.That'll give some clue.
Certainly look DIY add ons. They may operate the ejector seat. Look for the same wires spliced on in the fuse box area.

Radios the Bain of my life 3 years now I have had to drive round in this motorhome with no music playing I cannot get the d radio to stay on despite Phil changing it for the one I took out of old Snoopy I suspect it’s a aerial issue so it will be my mission this year to finally get it sorted.

Extra speakers? Handy to have the code written on the radio if that is what it is?

Extra speakers? Handy to have the code written on the radio if that is what it is?
It certainly looks like hifi speaker cable but the terminals look odd for that use .... so maybe just someone using any old cable .......

Clearly no one here can say what it is for, so if everything seems to be working, the best idea would be to leave it as it is, AFTER taping up the male bullet connector to cover as who knows if it could go live if "something" was turned on and could short against the radio case or any other 0V/Ground point.

FWIW, if the terminals have been fitted the right way round, then it would be likely wires that connect TO a supply, rather than wires that PROVIDE a supply. The female bullet connector is connected to the white wire with the black tracer. With two wires of the same colour, the black tracer on one would typically be connected to the -ve.
So a Female on the -ve and a Male Bullet on the +ve means that if this were a supply, the +ve terminal would be exposed and easily short against a metal ground part. (when using bullets, you would always use the female bullet on the supply +ve wire).

Radios the Bain of my life 3 years now I have had to drive round in this motorhome with no music playing I cannot get the d radio to stay on despite Phil changing it for the one I took out of old Snoopy I suspect it’s a aerial issue so it will be my mission this year to finally get it sorted.
Radio won't stay on? or reception disappears?

Radio won't stay on? or reception disappears?
It’s the reception and it crackles that’s why I think it’s an aerial issue as it has one of those cheap daft stick to the wIndiscreet ones.

If you have a roof mounted tv aerial I have seen people with same problem wire the radio to the tv aerial and has worked well
I don’t have a roof mounted tv aerial so am looking for a decent radio aerial.

You don't generally see roof mounted aerials on Motorhomes as the roofs are plastic/GRP/etc.
Screen mounted aerials can work fine when fitted well AND in good reception areas. In the more rural areas, they are pretty useless.

You could retro-fit a wing mounted telescopic one maybe?

You don't generally see roof mounted aerials on Motorhomes as the roofs are plastic/GRP/etc.
Screen mounted aerials can work fine when fitted well AND in good reception areas. In the more rural areas, they are pretty useless.

You could retro-fit a wing mounted telescopic one maybe?
That’s what I am looking at doing .

Also, as a general observation, DAB stations are the worst generally for loosing reception first, followed by FM.
AM doesn't seem to be much better, but the best by far for getting reception in dodgy areas is LW (Long Wave). I remember in the early 90's where when the only station I was able to listen to when drving around North Wales was "Atlantic 252". Fortunately it was a fairly reasonable one to listen to, but really was Hobsons choice for a great amount of the time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back