Rain X

Campervanannie

I know this subject has been talked about before but looking at the muck on my solar panels I was wondering has anyone cleaned them with Rain X or will it damage the surface i thought it might make a great rain and muck repellent what do you guys think.

Was chatting with a mate a while ago who put Rain X on his solar panels, he swears by it. Anyway I did a little search, and for some reason Rain X don't recomend it. I've not been able to find out why though. I'm guessing it would work well on a panel on a van, but not on static ones? Don't know. :)
Rain X

That’s a shame but nowhere does it explain why.

I never found out why. There are plenty of reviews of people using it on various solar sites.
I think it's not recommended in general because it would be pointless on a static flat panel. Different on a van though where it may help keep it clean, or at least reduce the speed it gets dirty.
Yet to read of one being damaged by Rain X though, yet. :p

It certainly works on my windscreen. I bought some years ago. Found the bottle in my garage last year and have been applying it once a month since.

Maybe it has something to do with the generation of electricity. Would another sacrificial coating be possible. Like cling film or perspex or even Vaseline. Do the fields of panels that we see get washed every week? I think not. Never see anyone doing any maintenance.

Was chatting with a mate a while ago who put Rain X on his solar panels, he swears by it. Anyway I did a little search, and for some reason Rain X don't recomend it. I've not been able to find out why though. I'm guessing it would work well on a panel on a van, but not on static ones? Don't know. :)
Rain X
we were told 20 years ago to only clean our conservatory with wash and wax to keep it white and to keep the glass clean its worked as it stops dirt adhering to the product so that's what I use on my solar panels, they sometimes look dusty after rain but it seems to blow off when van is moving !

I know this subject has been talked about before but looking at the muck on my solar panels I was wondering has anyone cleaned them with Rain X or will it damage the surface i thought it might make a great rain and muck repellent what do you guys think.

I strongly recommend RainBill, Annie.
It has several advantages over RainX:

1. It's free at the point of use.
2. Available locally in Bradford.
3. Takes up zero extra space in the Moho so can be conveniently taken with you for on-trip solar cleaning emergencies.
4. No long term risk to solar panel integrity.
5. Significantly and instantly increases the output of dirty solar panels.
6. Never runs out.
7. Does not require any effort or input from you.
8. Can be considered an automatic system which self-determines when cleaning is necessary.
9. It's plastic and chemical free and so is better for the environment.
10. Could be offered on the Moho open market and provide extra income for fuel, vodka etc.

I hope this helps.

Colin :):):)

The reason might be because Rain X have not tested their product on solar panels and so are playing safe, then you can't sue them if it causes any damage.
This is a common situation. For instance you often see ' dry clean only ' labels. This means that you can't sue the maker if you wash it and it shrinks or the colours run or fade. Many people successfully use a gentle wash.

I’ve tried some of this on screen but it leaves horrible marks. Do you have to polish if after it’s dried, the instructions don’t say so!!!!

So is this good to put on insides of windows as well!!!!?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back