Random Gallery Photos section

wildebus

I don't know about other folk, but I end randomly look at the Gallery Photos section as when the screen is refreshing when say clicking on "new posts", that gallery is a bit laggy and often when I click on the subject of a new post, or on the date above the user name on the RHS to go to the latest post, a random photo comes up as the screen was still loading.
Not saying the Gallery Photos are not interesting but the same photo 10 times a day is not that exciting :(

Get the same thing on both laptop and tablet.

Anyone else get this?

I don't know about other folk, but I end randomly look at the Gallery Photos section as when the screen is refreshing when say clicking on "new posts", that gallery is a bit laggy and often when I click on the subject of a new post, or on the date above the user name on the RHS to go to the latest post, a random photo comes up as the screen was still loading.
Not saying the Gallery Photos are not interesting but the same photo 10 times a day is not that exciting :(

Get the same thing on both laptop and tablet.

Anyone else get this?
T'is a bit annoying as you say, but then again I sometimes end up seeing some great photos of van builds etc that I might not have looked at otherwise.

Same here on all devices but I know photos always take a lot longer to load than anything else, so I've just trained myself not to click too soon!
Still get caught out now then but it's a good excuse to have a browse through some fab photos.

By the way, the pics change for me every time I refresh or click the home page or logo... I definitely don't get the same photos all day :unsure:

The problem is
Modern cameras take high quality images at say 4000 by 3000 pixels
Most screens are say 1200 by 900 pixels.
So the image is roughly NINE times as big as is needed (3 x as wide and 3 times as high)
Thus it takes 9x longer to load
I have simplified the figures to try to make it easier..

I resize all my pictures before uploading
single images to maybe 1000 by 800 or 750.
On my blog where I have several pictures on a page they are maybe 250 by 200
NO lack of visual quality

It could well be that there's an automatic function within the import/upload process that optimises photos for the site but I'm not sure if that happens on this forum or even if there's a size limit to uploads, as there usually is - Phil will obviously know. I can happily manipulate photos and the like but there are bound to be lots of members here who wouldn't know how to do that or wouldn't have the means. It's nowhere near as easy for photos on a phone for instance. On balance, I'm happy to accept the little bit of time lag in return for the amazing photos that people share with us.

The problem is
Modern cameras take high quality images at say 4000 by 3000 pixels
Most screens are say 1200 by 900 pixels.
So the image is roughly NINE times as big as is needed (3 x as wide and 3 times as high)
Thus it takes 9x longer to load
I have simplified the figures to try to make it easier..

I resize all my pictures before uploading
single images to maybe 1000 by 800 or 750.
On my blog where I have several pictures on a page they are maybe 250 by 200
NO lack of visual quality
not really on-topic, but FWIW I always upload at the native picture resolution :p
but then I don't upload to forums, but link my images via the "IMG" tags and usually at 800x600 resolution to my hosting on flickr.

nowadays the application s/w, be it website or forum, is setup to change the resolutions automatically in most cases.
but again, totally off-topic!

It could well be that there's an automatic function within the import/upload process that optimises photos for the site but I'm not sure if that happens on this forum or even if there's a size limit to uploads, as there usually is - Phil will obviously know. I can happily manipulate photos and the like but there are bound to be lots of members here who wouldn't know how to do that or wouldn't have the means. It's nowhere near as easy for photos on a phone for instance. On balance, I'm happy to accept the little bit of time lag in return for the amazing photos that people share with us.

Not sure how easy it is for Phil (admin) to automatically force resizing of photos to a sensible size
I just checked a photo at random Roughly 4000 by 3000 as it put in my post #5 about 10x too big
I know storage is not a real issue these days but band width is important again less so nowadays

As you say for many members it is nogo and we do not want to inhibit posting of images

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back