Rattles and squeaks

• Thread starter Deleted member 3305
  • Start date

Deleted member 3305

Not sure what's normal but our van is noisy! Done all we can think of to minimise internal rattle but the Ducato leaf springs leak (lub / grease?), the side concertina blinds make squeaking noise, the microwave plays its own tune, etc. Any ideas please? BTW, I lost 1 of the small plastic bits to hold the side blind open. Anyone know where I can source a replacement. Sorry - can't remember the name for this system.

Spray the back springs with PTFE which can be bought in tesco for £3, shove a bundle of bubble wrap in the oven.

If the noise starts to bother me I pop my Bluetooth headphones in my ears. I also do that when I listen to audiobooks 😁👍

We put an oven glove between the glass hob lid and the metal pan holder on the hob, to stop that rattle.

We use some small pieces of memory foam wedged in between the front diver and passenger blind surrounds on the cab entry doors, to stop those rattling.

Aside from that we then put up with what's left. :)

For the oven i take the shelf out while driving.
Cooker top i use a padded dryer mat between the glass and the metal bits the pan sits on.
I use the non slip in an assortment of colours for all sorts of things from separating the plates, cups and utensil draw. i also use it between the glasses and between anything else that makes a noise.
I have a big stack of disposable napkins for extra rattle proofing.
For the pots and pans I picked up some pan protectors from poundland.
I also got an oven cooking mat to help with cleaning up and that came with a strip of rubber grommets you cut to the length you want, i use them on the oven shelf for when i forget to take it out it isn't that annoying. think i got that from amazon.
I take the glass plate out of the microwave also and store that with the plates with the rattle proofing non slip mat around it.
I also found in lidl or aldi a pack of multi-coloured double sided velcro that has come in handy not only for the tv cables, but you can join them together and put them around things to hold things together.
I am going to screw two into the wood by the front door to hold the Awning driver thing so it's not sliding around in the back when I am driving.
I am looking forward to meeting up with some friends who have been motorhoming for a while soon, we have a plan to do a proper rattle check and figure out where the last of the rattles are coming from and work out how to deal with them.

You will find them and come up with ways to stop them, let use know how you get on.

For the oven i take the shelf out while driving.
Cooker top i use a padded dryer mat between the glass and the metal bits the pan sits on.
I use the non slip in an assortment of colours for all sorts of things from separating the plates, cups and utensil draw. i also use it between the glasses and between anything else that makes a noise.
I have a big stack of disposable napkins for extra rattle proofing.
For the pots and pans I picked up some pan protectors from poundland.
I also got an oven cooking mat to help with cleaning up and that came with a strip of rubber grommets you cut to the length you want, i use them on the oven shelf for when i forget to take it out it isn't that annoying. think i got that from amazon.
I take the glass plate out of the microwave also and store that with the plates with the rattle proofing non slip mat around it.
I also found in lidl or aldi a pack of multi-coloured double sided velcro that has come in handy not only for the tv cables, but you can join them together and put them around things to hold things together.
I am going to screw two into the wood by the front door to hold the Awning driver thing so it's not sliding around in the back when I am driving.
I am looking forward to meeting up with some friends who have been motorhoming for a while soon, we have a plan to do a proper rattle check and figure out where the last of the rattles are coming from and work out how to deal with them.

You will find them and come up with ways to stop them, let use know how you get on.
Good info . Had a mystery rattle for a while . Coathangers ! I hung some clothes on them

Cut the foot off old socks (best to wash them first) and slip them over wine glasses and tea mugs etc. Non slip matting under the grill lid and in all cupboards. It’s so rattle free and quiet we have to talk to each other.…..

I don't notice any rattles but you get used to the sound of your own van.

A lot of things in my van travel in bags - some "shoe" bags from the poundshop hold the leccy kettle, toaster, small heater, and stop them rattling. The slow cooker fits nicely in a cool bag I got when I joined the National Trust years ago. Some cheap cool bags from the pound shop hold other electrical thingies. The saucepan is in a shoe bag, the Ridge Monkey has it's own cover and Wine bottles are in a basket wine carrier under the bed.

Pack cupboards tightly and turn the radio up, sorted.

I silent coated (foil backed mass loaded butyl) my cab doors a while back which made a big difference to road noise and stereo sound quality. It's a loooong video, but I show that in excruciating detail in episode 139 on my channel - just type "Mevi 139" into a Youtube search.

You can also add extra 3M adhesive car door seal to the parts of the doors where the seal is not installed at factory. Gadget John & Mandy made a video about that.

My cab blackout curtain keeps that noise down too.

Rattles are quite acceptable for me. Rattles mean I didn't forget to latch the cupboards and drawers and my worldly possessions aren't going sideways at the first roundabout.

You can also add extra 3M adhesive car door seal to the parts of the doors where the seal is not installed at factory. Gadget John & Mandy made a video about that
Hi, can you give a link to the video, been trawling through and can’t find it, thanks

Hi, can you give a link to the video, been trawling through and can’t find it, thanks
Here is a link to Johns video, with a link in the description for the seal. He also uses the same sound deadening product that did, also includes a link to that.

You might save a bit of time by just watching his video. Like I say, my video is very long. :p

I just put up with all the rattles and squeaks, and, in our own case, put it down to German engineering, at it's best.
Seriously, because I drove company vehicles, during my working life, I'm so used to all the rattles, that I must filter them out.
My first own built Transit camper, didn't have many rattles, and, being a petrol engine, wasn't that noisy, but, I suppose, it didn't have too many facilities, either. We thoroughly enjoyed it though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back