Rear View Cameras

Teenoso

Does anyone have any experience of rear view cameras, (rear view mirror substitute) preferably WiFi, suitable for a 6m Van. There are plenty of cheap reversing mirrors on the market, many with a dashcam feature but not so many with full rear view facility.

I would not buy an expensive one ,my old van had a cheap one it had a good picture and has been excellent.As I have just changed my van one of the conditions I stipulated was the previous owner repaired the back camera he replaced it with a 260 pound camera which is not anywhere as good as my old one the mount is very poor and the quality is not good value.

The wireless system we had some time back would have been ok for a car but did not have the range to be reliable on a 6.5m motorhome. It could be rigged to act as a permanent rearview by taking the power for the camera from a permanent live rather than the reversing light but on my van that was not as easy. It was also quite interesting seeing the view out of the back of other vans when their camera was near to our monitor while passing on motorways. I think my favourite was pulling in to a petrol station in Croatia and seeing the view through their surveillance system. With this van I opted for a wired system so I wouldn't be 'hacked' by other people:)

Twin lens camera is my choice. Near for parking hitching up etc. Far for picking up what the mirrors miss.

I have been thinking about fitting a reversing camera. It would be wired as this is more reliable and I ran a pull wire when I was doing other work.
I am interested in peoples' experience of twin lens cameras, where each camera can be rotated up and down individually. One lens is narrow angled to use as a rear view camera (as you can judge distance better with narrow angle), the other lens is wide angle for close up parking.

Also I would prefer a smart mirror with built in 7" screen which clips over the existing rear view mirror, as opposed to a screen sitting on the dash. For example -
Rev Cam 1.JPG

I have been thinking about fitting a reversing camera. It would be wired as this is more reliable and I ran a pull wire when I was doing other work.
I am interested in peoples' experience of twin lens cameras, where each camera can be rotated up and down individually. One lens is narrow angled to use as a rear view camera (as you can judge distance better with narrow angle), the other lens is wide angle for close up parking.

Also I would prefer a smart mirror with built in 7" screen which clips over the existing rear view mirror, as opposed to a screen sitting on the dash. For example -
View attachment 43911
Does that type of screen cause any problems with Remi blinds?

Two cameras, one looking back, one looking down. Fed from the domestic 12v so always on. Dead cheap (£42), 7'' display on the dash. Our Remis blinds are stopped from going up to the top by the mirror but we put the visors down and cover the gap at night.

Cheers

H

I used the https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/501486 paired with my garmin sat nav expensive but works a treat, no interference hard wired in love it, the garmin sat nav is mounted on the dashboard console so not obscuring the driver view, reverse camera mounted internally view through rear window Van length 5.3 meters.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back