Ref calorlite bottles

[...] Are some of you still finding Lite bottles available for exchange?
Yes. FWIW, I have two 6kg Calorlite propanes (legacy from caravanning) and all my local Calor stockists still stock exchange Calorlite cylinders. My last purchase was only three weeks ago.

Yes still available - the outfit that forced you to swap were being economical with the truth - presumably to keep the sale.

Thanks for the replies, I have just been trying to contact the local depot ( Watsons Nr Bedford) and find that it is now "permanently closed". I suspect they were not bothered to restock and fobbed me off with their "unsafe" tale.

When Calor published they were withdrawing "Lite" cylinders, IIRC they originally said that "Lite" users could swap for standard bottles and then go back to "Lite" when they made the replacments available provided you produced your original receipt. However, that seems to have gone from their website. In any case, I suspect that most didn't retain their original receipt (from way back when) or, like me, swapped to CalorLite from 'standard' cylinders years ago. In either case, I suspect that it will be difficult to impossible to go back to 'Lite' once you've been fobbed off with 'standard' cylinders. In most motorhomes, I suspect that the additional weight won't be too much of an issue, and the saving of a couple of quid per refill for 'standard' cylinders might even be welcome. However, it's a different story for tuggers with gas lockers over the drawbar, where the additional 10 to 12 kg of a pair of standard cylinders could be enough to exceed the maximum nose weight.

In most motorhomes, I suspect that the additional weight won't be too much of an issue
I think there are quite a few for whom weight is an issue, plus a good many more who don’t know that it is a problem having never bothered to weigh their loaded motorhomes. Even if you have a vast payload for some of us the weight of lifting a full standard cylinder into an awkward space can be a problem.

Calor now have no plans to make a replacement - after years of charging way over the bulk refil rate they now say that they don't want to burden their customers with extra costs!! (Development and changes to bottling plants etc)
However this means that they will eke out the last penny they can from the bottles they've already got.
Having done whatever they did to remedy the early production I suspect that they've still got a lot of lites in the system - so carry on using them - perhaps if you get the chance acquire a spare or two so you can hold out for lite when you need to replace and I expect there's several years still to go.

Last edited:
Hi all. Saw the thread Calorlite. Followed it. Got confused. You cannot get calorlite anymore. You can get calorlite still. You can refill calorlite bottles yourself. You cannot refill calorlite bottles yourself. So as stated I'm CONFUSED.
They are not re-releasing lights, 6kg lights can filled by decanting from a Flogas 19 kg. @ around £35 for 19kg it makes a mockery of Calors £25 for 6kg, it's the same gas! To decant you need a straight through pipe with no regulators fitted, the supply bottle needs to be upended and fill the receiving bottle to the weight on the silver collar. I have Alugas lightweight bottles fitted in my motorhome now.
Hi all. Saw the thread Calorlite. Followed it. Got confused. You cannot get calorlite anymore. You can get calorlite still. You can refill calorlite bottles yourself. You cannot refill calorlite bottles yourself. So as stated I'm CONFUSED.
To refill Calor 6kg bottles from a 19kg Flogas bottle, at less than half the refill price of 3 X 6 kgs, you need a straight through pipe with fillings both end with no regulators. You have to upend the supply bottle and weigh the receiving bottle to the weight stamped on the silver collar, this gives the required air gap in the bottle. I am explaining how it's done. not that you should do it or that I have done it in the past.

They are not re-releasing lights, 6kg lights can filled by decanting from a Flogas 19 kg. @ around £35 for 19kg it makes a mockery of Calors £25 for 6kg, it's the same gas! To decant you need a straight through pipe with no regulators fitted, the supply bottle needs to be upended and fill the receiving bottle to the weight on the silver collar. I have Alugas lightweight bottles fitted in my motorhome now.

To refill Calor 6kg bottles from a 19kg Flogas bottle, at less than half the refill price of 3 X 6 kgs, you need a straight through pipe with fillings both end with no regulators. You have to upend the supply bottle and weigh the receiving bottle to the weight stamped on the silver collar, this gives the required air gap in the bottle. I am explaining how it's done. not that you should do it or that I have done it in the past.
How do you know the bottle being filled has not exceeded the safe 80%? It sounds dodgy to me. Sorry, but I feel that if people don’t want the expense of Calor refills they should buy the proper alternative equipment. I am starting to appreciate the campsite rule of 6 metres between units.

I use Calor Lites because I couldn't lift a normal Calor bottle into the van and up into the gas locker. If the time comes when I can't get refills anymore I will have to come up with an alternative solution. Luckily, most Calor suppliers still seem to stock refills.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back