Remaking a garden bench.

Pudsey Bear

We bought these bench ends about 15 years ago at a steam fair auction and it's time to build it up again.

I think it needs to be 4-5 feet long, but not sure what to use for the slats, it looks like it has had slaters lathe previously not the best I think so suggestions from anyone has a s similar bench as to word and sizes as these don't look correct, I'll need a length of rod to stabilise the bottom too but that the easy part.

1720954540720.png

1720954676699.png

1720954728180.png

Did mine a few months ago the ends cost £ 10. The pair . We used cedar woof. From old thick fencing. Recycled.

But then used the timber patio wood for a table top.

I see there are another pair for the same price. And funny enough there the same as we have and again from the very same seller.
But one is enough for us…

image.jpg

First thing is get the ends shot blasted and a good epoxy 2 pack primer on them, we used to get a lot of them in, turned out nice when finished in poly 2 pack, should be cheep to do.

Did mine a few months ago the ends cost £ 10. The pair . We used cedar woof. From old thick fencing. Recycled.

But then used the timber patio wood for a table top.

I see there are another pair for the same price. And funny enough there the same as we have and again from the very same seller.
But one is enough for us…

View attachment 73596
What dimensions are the slats?

There are a total of 12 on mine .
The top back is. 35 mm wide

The last two on the seat bottom are 2 x35 mm

All the other 9. are 60 mm wide The total length of them are. 1.200 mm

And there all 25 mm thick.

So that’s 9 x 25mm x35 mm x1.200 mm

3 x. 25 mm. X 35 mm. X1.200 mm

24 x 6 mm galvanised gutter bolts and nuts.

1 x 10 stud bar 1.300mm.

4 x 10 mm. Nuts and 4 10 mm. Washers.

Patio decking was my second choice. But used some redundant cedar fencing.

Great, thanks not sure we're going quite that long 4-5 feet I think.

The brace I think I'm going 8mm all-thread with a dome nut at each end for tidiness and a nyloc nut with washers etc on the inside to hold it all tight.

Great, thanks not sure we're going quite that long 4-5 feet I think.

The brace I think I'm going 8mm all-thread with a dome nut at each end for tidiness and a nyloc nut with washers etc on the inside to hold it all tight.
Mines 47 inches. Long .

Just another thing we're quite hefty peeps (Yorkshire folk don't leave food on the plate) so I was wondering how much your slats bend with two peeps on it?

T
Just another thing we're quite hefty peeps (Yorkshire folk don't leave food on the plate) so I was wondering how much your slats bend with two peeps on it?
They don’t they have a strips of something underneath . 3 in number I think they’re something to do with roof straps galvanised straps bought on a roll and has many uses…. I am sure it was called a roll of roof plate strapping .

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Too lucky I think.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back