REMIS wind up skylights

Undertaker

Apologies, if this is teaching anyone to suck eggs but today was a learning experience for me that may be worth sharing. My main skylight hasn't been winding shut easily for a while. I was blaming the rubber seal and have been taking great care not to tension the mechanism (Baz knows how much hassle it can be when it breaks). Today it wasn't shutting easily at all and was raised at one corner. Decided to get my head out of the skylight and was amazed how much moss was there and obviously stopping it seating properly. Scraped it off with my fingers and hey presto shuts without stressing the mechanism. The roof btw is clean but unless you clean the roof with the skylight open you won't see the offending moss because it's under the skylight edge. Hope this helps someone.

Apologies, if this is teaching anyone to suck eggs but today was a learning experience for me that may be worth sharing. My main skylight hasn't been winding shut easily for a while. I was blaming the rubber seal and have been taking great care not to tension the mechanism (Baz knows how much hassle it can be when it breaks). Today it wasn't shutting easily at all and was raised at one corner. Decided to get my head out of the skylight and was amazed how much moss was there and obviously stopping it seating properly. Scraped it off with my fingers and hey presto shuts without stressing the mechanism. The roof btw is clean but unless you clean the roof with the skylight open you won't see the offending moss because it's under the skylight edge. Hope this helps someone.
Every little tip no matter how small is sure to help someone at sometime .

I gave the hinges a squirt of silicone lube to help it, also pushing up slightly helps the mechanism as well. Motorised would be nicer as I reckon the winding handle is a tad flimsy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back