Reversing Cameras

vagandvoyager

I am looking at installing a reversing camera on our recently purchased Eura Mobil 700 Motor home as it does not have one ....Has any one got any recommendations? as there are so many on the market and cant decide between wired or wireless...I know wireless would probably be better because of the no wiring factor but am wondering about reliability and signal, especially when in remote areas of the UK and Europe (am I over thinking this)

Remote areas are better: less chance of getting the signal from the camera in the vehicle in front (which happens quite often, I'm told).
The "wireless" is simply sending direct from the back of the van to the front of the van, not via a mobile network. But it is less reliable, less clear and more hassle than a wired system, as well as more expensive..
You normally power either sort from the reversing lights, but the wired sort also needs a cable running under or inside the van to the screen in the front.

Thanks for the input, will look at installing a wired unit then.
When we had to trade in our moho because of age/weight, we decided to get a caravan. Also decided to get rear view camera fitted. It’s wireless with power supplied from lighting loom. Never had any issues at all. Modern wireless cameras work! Had it fitted near Warrington, but self fitting is easy.

When we had to trade in our moho because of age/weight, we decided to get a caravan. Also decided to get rear view camera fitted. It’s wireless with power supplied from lighting loom. Never had any issues at all. Modern wireless cameras work! Had it fitted near Warrington, but self fitting is easy.
Great reply..thanks...I suppose it is all down to personal preference..I am a bit techy myself and would install myself. prices differ so much as do types of camera...I am looking at something that doubles as a rear view mirror as well as the moho I have is 7m ( a bit longer than the LWB sprinter I am used to driving ). The Camos Jewel Plus looks OK for the price.

I'll repeat my advice, just in case I forgot to give it earlier (!)
By far the best place for a reversing camera screen is near the driver's door mirror.

I'll repeat my advice, just in case I forgot to give it earlier (!)
By far the best place for a reversing camera screen is near the driver's door mirror.
Thanks for the advice...I too would prefer having it mounted in a similar place..as I always use my drivers side mirrors so mounted in that area would be fine.

Most of the time, we install the monitors r/h side of the steering wheel, so if your using the camera whilst driving, you can quick glance doing your mirror checks.
I've just finished testing a Wi-Fi based camera system...................................... still think it's not the way to go as the picture is jumpy and occasionally cuts out in built-up town/city areas. With hard-wired connections, there tends to be none of those woes.
Also look at the camera supplier and think will I get support for the product in a few years time, as camera manufacturers come and go like the wind and a camera kit at the time may be a good buy, but when it dies in a few years, it may be a nightmare to source replacement parts. Some of the Swift boys are finding it hard getting replacement parts from what was a "so-called" factory fitted unit.

Most of the time, we install the monitors r/h side of the steering wheel, so if your using the camera whilst driving, you can quick glance doing your mirror checks.
I've just finished testing a Wi-Fi based camera system...................................... still think it's not the way to go as the picture is jumpy and occasionally cuts out in built-up town/city areas. With hard-wired connections, there tends to be none of those woes.
Also look at the camera supplier and think will I get support for the product in a few years time, as camera manufacturers come and go like the wind and a camera kit at the time may be a good buy, but when it dies in a few years, it may be a nightmare to source replacement parts. Some of the Swift boys are finding it hard getting replacement parts from what was a "so-called" factory fitted unit.
Thanks for that advice..see your in Taunton, not too far from me (Kingsbridge, Devon) just going to check out your website. You may be a bit of a god send as I am looking at installing solar panels too.

If you have a Garmin sat nav, Garmin do 3 different wireless cameras that seem to get good reviews. They do a battery powered version ( so no wires at all) but it depends on your sat nav model and it’s compatibility.

because i had my box on the rear and existing camera is high on the body of the van i had a wired camera fitted at the rearmost point low down & the old camera now works as rear view mirror so i have the best of both worlds, my old camera was fitted by hymer and the picture was tiny & not very clear but the new generation monitor they both feed now is much better so obviously that is a consideration

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back