Ridge Monkey

Ridge Monkey - do you have one, would you recommend it? The reason I ask is, for some time now, we have been regularly using a Diablo which is great for doing one egg at a time so the natural progression, as there is the two of us, would be a Ridge Monkey. Just wondered what your thoughts on the matter were.

Rae

Phil

Forum Admin
I use one as it stops the spitting. Here is liz baking cupcakes in one.

I use one as it stops the spitting. Here is liz baking cupcakes in one.
Thanks Phil for putting that up; unfortunately, baking cupcakes was not at the top of the list so that cuts it down to it stops the spitting. I think I'll stick with my Diablo and not be so adventurous with the breakfast.

Rae

We don't have an oven or grill so the Ridge Monkey has proved to be a God send, Diane has cooked everything in it from omelettes to steaks and everything in between, the cheese toasties being particularly good ;) So yes I'd recommend one.

Regards,
Del

So yes I'd recommend one.
Hello Del,
Thank you for replying. I would like to ask you one question though: when you say you would recommend one, which one would you recommend? Only, at the last count, there were three different types: large, small and one that has sections. Thank you in anticipation.

Rae

I have one in the garage that I used in my old Snoopy van must dig it out and start using it again word of warning Waewae don’t be fooled by a cheaper alternative some are crap and the two halves don’t seal together properly I bought a cheap one first then after the coating pealed off I bought a proper one.👍 mine is large but when I bought mine you did not get the utensils you had to pay extra for them.

Hello Annie,
Well you're the instigator of me wanting a Ridge Monkey after you kindly donated the Diablo to Ann and myself and I have to be honest here, we are truly delighted with the Diablo but feel it's a tad small and the potential of a Ridge Monkey is far greater. I have to ask you two questions, did you get the large one and, if so, was it the one that is sectioned off so you can cook a multitude of runny foods?

Rae

Hello Annie,
Well you're the instigator of me wanting a Ridge Monkey after you kindly donated the Diablo to Ann and myself and I have to be honest here, we are truly delighted with the Diablo but feel it's a tad small and the potential of a Ridge Monkey is far greater. I have to ask you two questions, did you get the large one and, if so, was it the one that is sectioned off so you can cook a multitude of runny foods?

Rae
No Rae it is the large one but it’s not sectioned off but I only used mine for a one pan breakfast or for doing an omelette and cooking meat, steak, sausages and chops.but they are great for the foil bags of Rosti potatoes.

We have the large version without the separate sections and use it a lot. Great for bacon, sausages, etc, stops the fat from splashing and it wipes clean with kitchen towel. Great bit of kit (y)

debs

I seem to manage most things in my "Double Skillet" but I am now going to have a look at a "Ridge Monkey" and see if it might be a usefull addition to my kitchen.

stops the fat from splashing and it wipes clean with kitchen towel.
Hello Chris,
After Phil kindly put the YouTube video up I spent the rest of the evening watching YouTube videos on how, and what, you can cook with a Ridge Monkey: as most of the cooking was done outside, the Ridge Monkey was rarely closed so this is the question - do you cook with yours shut or open?.........please don't say "Sometimes" :):)

Rae

Hello Chris,
After Phil kindly put the YouTube video up I spent the rest of the evening watching YouTube videos on how, and what, you can cook with a Ridge Monkey: as most of the cooking was done outside, the Ridge Monkey was rarely closed so this is the question - do you cook with yours shut or open?.........please don't say "Sometimes" :):)

Rae
Mostly closed for brekky type fry-ups, open for toasting; have yet to try omelettes or anything more adventurous :unsure:

Mostly closed for brekky type fry-ups
Hello Chris,
Having never seen one in the flesh, I would like to ask you one question: how good is the seal..........would you be happy flipping it over if there was a fry-up inside or would you just open it up and turn the food over manually?

Rae

Hello Chris,
Having never seen one in the flesh, I would like to ask you one question: how good is the seal..........would you be happy flipping it over if there was a fry-up inside or would you just open it up and turn the food over manually?

Rae
You have to do exactly that - flip it over. If you turn it slowly the fat will drip out between the two halves. It wouldn't be practical to have a complete seal or you would in fact have a pressure cooker.
I think it would make an ideal xmas present for the lady in your life (y)

I think it would make an ideal xmas present for the lady in your life (y)
This lady only deals in gold or, at a push, diamonds :love::ROFLMAO:

Caz

I looked into these some time back, including watching friends using them.

I concluded that I didn't have the space for one in the cupboard and it was less versatile that my frying pan with a lid.

dij260

Bought one earlier this year and made some modifications. I cut off the two rivets holding the lids together and replaced them with clevis pins and R clips so it now comes apart really easily and can be used as one/two frying pans if needed.
We use it most days and it has replaced two or three other pans however it will let juices out if you flip it over so do it over the sink :)

Attachments