Ridge Monkey

StreetSleeper

Rae, Anne can pop around to my van and she can try my ridge monkey out :)
Hello Phil,
I will mention it to her; I'm sure she can't wait to get her hands on your Ridge Monkey.

Rae

Caz

Thumbs up for the Monkey, they cook meat, toasted sandwiches, frittatas, even warmed a Ginster in it, they are very versatile.. As for hot fat spilling out, turn it very quick or stick a bit of bread in to soak up the juices.
Can do all that and more in my frying pan. I turn the food over - much easier than turning the pan upside down and no fat dribbles.

StreetSleeper

Frontier stove
I must confess to having a penchant for wood burning stoves......and such likes; I'm sure if you look around on the site you will see evidence of some of my attempts.

Rae

StreetSleeper

I love my frontier stove and yes that’s when the ridge monkey is at its best.
A few days ago I was having a conversation with Robby Mac about me buying one; you can get them now for just over 100 quid......can't grumble at that......do love the hot water jacket Phil.

Rae

Phil

Forum Admin
A few days ago I was having a conversation with Robby Mac about me buying one; you can get them now for just over 100 quid......can't grumble at that......do love the hot water jacket Phil.

There are fake one around that are made of thinner lower quality steel. The paint comes off the first time you use them and the steel soon fails.

StreetSleeper

There are fake one around that are made of thinner lower quality steel. The paint comes off the first time you use them and the steel soon fails.
Hello Phil,
I thought as much but then it kind of inspired me to rethink about using my WW2 shelter stove. This is more of an upright stove which is a top filler with a chimney at the rear and can burn anything; I may have a look at it when I come back from Bugsworth. The only disadvantage is it's made of cast.

Rae

Trotter

Hi Rae, mine’s brilliant, or would be if the ridge monkey fitted my cook top. It’s a might bit to big for it. Although using my single burner cylinder emergency cooker it does everything you’d want, in the van it directs the flame onto the work top . The one I have is the big one with the separate compartments. The slightly smaller one would be the bizz. I’ve only been able to use it in the van by putting the grill rack between the burners and the RM. Trouble there it’s not doing the rack any good. The advice I’m offering if any, is, maybe don’t buy the largest one

nabsim

I ordered the deep fill toastie one and it’s due to arrive today. If it’s before we set off for the frog I will be bringing it. I bought it because I could live on toasties :)

alwaysared

been reading this post with interest........thought ah.ideal chrissy pressy for g, daughter..........then on more thought....,,,,,,,,what advantage is it over a fry pan with lid??????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then see post that fat can drip out when turned over......hmm.........bit of a danger when using naked flame........
I'm not sure why you would want to turn it over with oil in it! Toasties, omelettes etc. maybe but surely no need to do it with oil, just open it up and turn the stuff over :confused:

Regards,
Del

Edina

We don't use oil, but there is fat off the bacon etc. It is easy to do as you say and just lift the lid and turn the stuff over. We have a frying pan in the cupboard, but the frigid monkey is our first choice for most things.

nabsim

I forgot to say Rae the deepfill sandwich ridge monkey did arrive before we set off for Moffat so we have it with us if you want a look at it

paulhelenwilko

We bought one after bongo baz showed us his. We bought the large one with utensils and storage case. Can't say had loads of use from it, but does the job and is quality made. Apparently the bongo club have ridge monkey cooking competitions. Baz's favourite was fish fingers .

Paul.

nabsim

We bought one after bongo baz showed us his. We bought the large one with utensils and storage case. Can't say had loads of use from it, but does the job and is quality made. Apparently the bongo club have ridge monkey cooking competitions. Baz's favourite was fish fingers .

Paul.
Ooh I love fish diners :)

Not used ours yet as not had it 48 hours yet but will christen it this weekend. Must admit I did only buy for toastier which I also love but posts on here make me think I will be trying other things. Omelettes sound especially good and not having an oven in our van warming pies is another :)

When you open ours there is a packing piece that has a set up utensils in it. Not sure if this is normal but looks a decent bit of kit and I think it’s worth the £16 they had them going for :)

Isa Neal

Bought one earlier this year and made some modifications. I cut off the two rivets holding the lids together and replaced them with clevis pins and R clips so it now comes apart really easily and can be used as one/two frying pans if needed.
We use it most days and it has replaced two or three other pans however it will let juices out if you flip it over so do it over the sink :)
Dear Rae
I see you are coming to the New Years meet in Hereford. I’ve got a spare large size ridge monkey, one of the handles is a bit dodgy do they sent me another one free of charge. The one I’ve got spare has dividers on one side and flat plate the other. I’m arriving on 28/12 so if you can wait for then you can have it free!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)