Rooftop WiFi

Poynting Puck on the roof. Huawei mifi inside. For the latter make sure you get the version with antenna inputs. You will need to buy a pair of adaptors to convert the poynting plugs to the Huawei sockets. Cheap as chips on fleabay .

Poynting Puck on the roof. Huawei mifi inside. For the latter make sure you get the version with antenna inputs. You will need to buy a pair of adaptors to convert the poynting plugs to the Huawei sockets. Cheap as chips on fleabay .
Hi 14
what sort of improvement have you seen over phone only use?

As No14
Got the equipment above. Not convinced yet. Only used it at Hereford, notoriously bad 3mobile reception. Hopefully it will work out for me.
Related question. What are bad, average, good mps figures on download?
Someone will know. And I might even understand the answer 🥺🙄

Last edited:
Hi 14
what sort of improvement have you seen over phone only use?
I have mentioned before on the other forum that my usual hunting ground for short and medium trips is around mid, south and west Wales where poor 4g is the norm once out of town. My setup makes the difference between receiving a signal or not. Currently parked on the coast near St David's where EE is very poor and 3 not much better. Anyway, took the 3 sim out of my dual sim phone, bunged a data bundle on it, popped the sim into the Huawei and now we can stream SD TV. That wouldn't have worked with a phone inside our metal box (aka van).
Of course if you are in a location with no signal then nothing will fix that.

You could watch this video:

Phil explains what equipment he is using,

Regards,
Del
I’m tied into Vodafone until next May. Hopefully this plan will still be available then. Usually these plans finish a couple of weeks before I go for them.
I’m using a Smarty sim in the Huawei atm

Just done this today.

Hi I use a Maxview Roam with a 2G Virgin media card (apparently on EE network) £6 a month. It works brilliantly, when the phones Vodafone and O2 have no or poor signal it has up to now worked every time.

Motorhome wi-fi '5G ready' roof antenna with Huawei router and Three SIM. Works really well in most locations, including on the move. We had the Motorhome wi-fi booster on our old van - found it didn't help much if the wi-fi source wasn't good enough in the first place (as is the case on many campsites...) So just went for the mobile network option on the new van - it's apparently what the ambulance service uses.

Motorhome wi-fi '5G ready' roof antenna with Huawei router and Three SIM. Works really well in most locations, including on the move. We had the Motorhome wi-fi booster on our old van - found it didn't help much if the wi-fi source wasn't good enough in the first place (as is the case on many campsites...) So just went for the mobile network option on the new van - it's apparently what the ambulance service uses.
Yes, we've had a Wi-Fi booster for some years, but now that mobile data is much cheaper than before we rarely bother trying to pick up Wi-Fi. It was always a struggle anyway.
I get the impression that despite the title of the thread, the OP was interested in mobile data anyway, rather than Wi-Fi

- it's apparently what the ambulance service uses.
I think you will find that the emergency services use Cradlepoint routers, which are a bit too expensive for most of us :unsure:

Regards,
Del

@Berhill2 As @witzend said please clarify what you are actually asking about, Mifi or external WiFi?

This is one of my Poynting setups, the other van uses an Xpol, it gives on average maybe no more than 1 bar of extra signal compared to the handset in the van but when there is only one bar available that can make all the difference cable length can have an impact though to the signal strength at the router.

routers that can hold multiple Sims are possibly worth considering, simply because coverage is so variable in most parts of the uk Smarty for example was useless on Mull but O2 worked very well, elsewhere the opposite often applies.

What you can be 100% certain of is no matter what you install or what people claim they get you will regularly end up parked up at locations where you simply will not have coverage irrespective of the sim provider. Even if you have a sim from all of them!

I am waiting for a Poynting puck 2 and teltoika RUT240 router to come fingers crossed it will do the business.I am going to pole mount the puck so that it just above my roof spoiler

Jeff, atm I’ve put the Puck out of the drivers door on the magnet fitting. Depending on the signal available, it’s working well.
Coming in the drivers door, there’s enough cable to reach the USB socket, above the table, but not enough for me to use the old tv mast. To use that, it would need to come into the back door, and I’d need to fit another USB socket over the rear door trim. I ran the wire, but couldn’t decide where to put the USB. Then thought $od it. Leave well alone. It works what more do I want 👌

I have to order a 12v cable for the router and fit an other 12v cigarette socket in the cupboard .Del do you take your SIM card out your phone and put it in the router .?

I have to order a 12v cable for the router and fit an other 12v cigarette socket in the cupboard .Del do you take your SIM card out your phone and put it in the router .?
SIM card?
No, I have a Smarty sim for the router, and a contract with Vodafone for the phone.
4gb on the phone, is usually more than enough at home , and I load the Smarty with what I think I’ll need for the time I’ll be away. Didn’t help at Hereford when I binged out on “In Line of Duty” in the rain. Six hours took a lot out of my 30 gb.😬
Luckily, included in the freebie this week is free internet access. Happy daze.
Should have enough data left on phone and Smarty to last until Hollingsworth. I’ll ask around for advice on using either 3mobile ( Smarty) or O2( Giffgaff). And change SIM card as necessary.
Being a service provider slapper works. I’ll go with anyone 🤌
Going back to where I was going to fit the Puck, the new solar panel put paid to that idea. So it was back to the drawing board.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back