Routes through Germany

GMJ

In September we are heading off to northern Italy however I am short on ideas for crossing Germany.

We will be taking the channel tunnel and then want to get to Fussen on the German/Austrian border.

I am after some ideas of a route and campsites en route please. We will only want to:-

- Travel about 1.5 hours from Calais on our first night
- Travel a maximum of 3 hours driving each day thereafter
- Take 4 nights to do the trip with a preference for a 2 night stop in one place if possible.

A direct(9sh) route I have plotted on Google maps goes via Mons in Belgium; then Saarlouis; then Stuttgart however I am open to ideas and suggestions...especially on any campsites.

Thanks

Graham
smile.gif

Yes we do something like the route above only that we're normally in a hurry to get south and use the belgian motorways to go via Luxembourg,(for the cheap diesel) but even that isn't as cheap as it used to be. Our first stop now is usually Arlon just inside/outside Luxembourg more then 1.5 hours from Calais though and then after Luxembourg we join the above route in /near Pirrmasens alan

Reactions: GMJ
I similar to Scouter. I would add though; be careful what time you cross from Fussen into Austria (if your planning to do that) as the traffic is very bad in the season, particularly on a Saturday!

Agree with post #4
Fernpass on Saturdays is very very slow going (just traffic)..
Otherwise it is a nice route

The next pass to the west is a great route too. L246 through Pfafflar.
I like to stop in Metz when heading that way, on route to Black Forrest. Lovely town centre. Aire and a campsite on Moselle bank, 5 mins walk from centre. The Aire is often fairly full and a bit grotty, municipal campsite is good though.

In September we are heading off to northern Italy however I am short on ideas for crossing Germany.

We will be taking the channel tunnel and then want to get to Fussen on the German/Austrian border.

I am after some ideas of a route and campsites en route please. We will only want to:-

- Travel about 1.5 hours from Calais on our first night
- Travel a maximum of 3 hours driving each day thereafter
- Take 4 nights to do the trip with a preference for a 2 night stop in one place if possible.

A direct(9sh) route I have plotted on Google maps goes via Mons in Belgium; then Saarlouis; then Stuttgart however I am open to ideas and suggestions...especially on any campsites.

Thanks

Graham
smile.gif
Check out the Romantic Road on Google. Takes you all the way down to Fussen with loads of aires/stelplatz or campsites on way down.

Just done a bit of the romantic road there is a web site with information on the town's. They all are motorhome friendly. The Medieval Walled Towns are worth a visit

We find it handy to go via Switzerland's superb motorways to Bellinzona, then into Italy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back