Rusted bench support - a concern?

Rockburner

Rusted bench support - a concern?

Something that caught my eye on the van I'm about to purchase:
DSC_1323.JPG

Question is: would this worry you if you were buying the vehicle?

The area under the bench seat seemed dry - but obviously has not been at some point.

The van is only 18 months old (registered June 2016)

There's also this:
DSC_1319.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a very careful examination of the area around the support is in order. Perhaps a damp meter might show something. The staining on the floor would indicate that there has been some wet or prolonged moisture in the area. If possible removal of the support might shed more light and the vendor may have some explanation. The damaged roof light can easily be replaced but the damage looks as if there has been some impact from outside. It would not have been caused by the handle as it wouldn't reach. I don't know where the roof light is in relation to the support but that might be clue if the roof light is near enough for water to run to the support. I think a close inspection of the roof from the outside is also essential. You could also quite easily remove the interior of the roof light as its only held by screws and that would give you view of the roof structure.Good luck.

The rust looks superficial and wouldn’t bother me. The cause of the rust would bother significantly and I would want to satisfy myself I knew how it had occurred, needs a thourough investigation.

Private or trade sale ?

the roof light looks to me as if it may have been jemmied open from outside ?...so get up on roof to look for any damage - check if seal intact to roof

you may find that the lid has been replaced ?

seat base shouldn't have rusted like that but as its under the seat something stored there may have leaked

we spilt some cooking salt in one of our wire slide out baskets , this caused some of the metal to rust over time

you need to check that any timber is dry and sound , look also in case water ingress is causing water to pool here

what make van is this ?

Just a thought, could water have reached the seat base from the roof light? I mean is the seat underneath it? At the very least I'd want to remove the seat base to check the floor directly underneath.

Malcolm

Probably like it when it went in there, that plating ???is very questionable as a covering,to protect anything from the atmosphere. It would go like that in your home as well.

Have you asked the owner/s how this damage occurred? I take it they were not present when you took those photos- what was the reason they were not there? Is it because its on a forecourt/sales site/storage or where? Did you check all of it and the rest was okay? is the rest of that roof light intact i.e. the fly and blackout screens- cant see them in the photo! The metal support looks to be made of aluminium not steel. The corrosion to it is quite severe-too severe to have been water, especially over a short period of say a few weeks or months. It looks more like acidic damage possibly from a battery leakage. Actually, to me the support doesn't look as if its the original somehow either and one of the fixing bolts is unaffected by corrosion for some reason yet the metal around it is. Whatever the staining is to the wooden base is not really consistent with that support having been attached to it for any length of time as the marks are very limited. Is the floor under the support some sort of lino or is it plywood? Lots to consider there but I would want honest answers from the seller.

Should have provided more info, oops!

Van is a Wiensberg 601 MQH. registered new June 2016.

The roof light is at the back of the van, so nowhere near the bench seat.

I'm buying it from the hire company that registered it, and used it as a hire vehicle for 18 months.

I'll be taking another good look over before purchase.

Re the bench - would the bolts for this generally go through the floor and so be exposed to water from the underside of the van?

If you come back with some answers members may be able to help you further. You say it has been a hire vehicle which does open up some possibilities as to the lack of care by previous users of it. Someone may have accidentally locked the keys in it or lost the keys and tried to gain access-hence damage to roof vent.

The fact that the roof vent and seat support are not located together reinforces what I said about possible acidic damage and possibly not being the original one-might have been replaced by one damaged beyond repair-again possible misuse by hirer.

Where the seat support bolts terminate under the vehicle can be seen by looking underneath!

I would be very wary about buying such a vehicle and would suggest that if you are intent on buying it, to get someone experienced with you when you next look at it. I would also look closely at the company selling it-if that's the case- to see what sort of record/guarantees/service/parts facilities they have and be prepared to run a mile if they don't come up to scratch and look elsewhere.

I've had a look at Weisenbergs site for the Cararbus 601mqh and it looks a nicely built vehicle. it may be that the seller will; as he should, put anything wrong with it, right before you buy.
Let us know!

Looking again at the picture I just wonder if this is not a seat or bench support at all. I say that as in my Rapido there is a structure made of similar welded tube metal framing that is the anchor for seat belt fixings. Just a suggestion. I also notice a white sticker on the left upright, it would be interesting to know what that says, its obviously there for a reason and might shed light on the matter.

teejay;n15910 said:
Have you asked the owner/s how this damage occurred?
Not yet. The company is on holiday
teejay;n15910 said:
I take it they were not present when you took those photos- what was the reason they were not there?
The depot happened to be open, with minimal, non-sales staff when I happened to visit on the last working day before Xmas.
teejay;n15910 said:
Is it because its on a forecourt/sales site/storage or where?
Yes
teejay;n15910 said:
Did you check all of it and the rest was okay?
Seems to be.
teejay;n15910 said:
is the rest of that roof light intact i.e. the fly and blackout screens- cant see them in the photo!
I believe so, but will check again.
teejay;n15910 said:
The metal support looks to be made of aluminium not steel.
I doubt that - alu-oxide is white. It's steel
teejay;n15910 said:
The corrosion to it is quite severe-too severe to have been water, especially over a short period of say a few weeks or months. It looks more like acidic damage possibly from a battery leakage. Actually, to me the support doesn't look as if its the original somehow either and one of the fixing bolts is unaffected by corrosion for some reason yet the metal around it is. Whatever the staining is to the wooden base is not really consistent with that support having been attached to it for any length of time as the marks are very limited. Is the floor under the support some sort of lino or is it plywood?
You tell me - I can't tell, but will take another look. It's whatever Wiensberg use as their floor.
teejay;n15910 said:
Lots to consider there but I would want honest answers from the seller.

Iandsm;n16526 said:
Looking again at the picture I just wonder if this is not a seat or bench support at all. I say that as in my Rapido there is a structure made of similar welded tube metal framing that is the anchor for seat belt fixings. Just a suggestion. I also notice a white sticker on the left upright, it would be interesting to know what that says, its obviously there for a reason and might shed light on the matter.

It's underneath the dinette bench seat that has 2 seatbelts, so yes - I imagine it's part of the structure that supports the seatbelts rather than the bench itself.

FWIW I'm going back to re-inspect the vehicle after New Years before buying. I'm pretty sure we'll be buying it anyway - I just want to know what will need fixing in the future.

It's a strange one for sure,but it doesn't look rusty to me.
It looks more like some corrosive substance has taken the paint off.
But that then begs the question why hasn't it attacked the veneer on the base board?

Korky

Rockburner;n16538 said:
It's underneath the dinette bench seat that has 2 seatbelts, so yes - I imagine it's part of the structure that supports the seatbelts rather than the bench itself.

That being so its probably original, particularly since the panel to the right has been properly cut to accommodate part of the foot of the structure. On the other hand because it was a hire vehicle perhaps the seat belt fitting may have been put in as an extra when it was known it would be hired out . In any case if you are completely satisfied the underlying structure and surrounding structure are undamaged with the aid of a damp meter I cannot see why its a reason not to buy. You could ask the seller to remove the fitting, rub it down and repaint it, or negotiate a little discount and do it yourself. BUT only provided you are sure there is no damage in the area.

Hi,
We have a Weinsberg Caracompact 2015 model and are very happy with the build quality. They are entry level versions of the Knaus vans.
Our dinette bench is full of the Truma heater so can't see that bracket which must be part of the rear seatbelt frame. I would think that some corrosive liquid had been spilt or a pipe from the fresh water tank has leaked. The floor of ours is fairly thick laminated ply.

Steve

The strut looks to be part of the framing for the seat belt. We have a similar arrangement in our Hymer. The “rusting” looks, to me, to be as a result of spillage in that storage area. If closer examination confirms that there is no structural damage, then a rub down and a coat of paint may well be all is needed.
David.

I'm buying it from the hire company that registered it, and used it as a hire vehicle for 18 months.

that would put me off buying it full stop. from stories I have heard from those who have bought ex-hire m/hs, then they often find loads of probems as hirers don't take care of them like owners do. if you still want to proceed i.e the price is right, I'd ask the dealer to correct any obvious issues at their cost, or reduce the price further if you want to take on the repairs.

My two pennorth, the steel base is fine, minor surface rust, mask around it, rub down, prime and paint (aluminium would not have red rust) rust will stain the floor, probably caused as mentioned above by a leaky water bottle or something, not sure about the bolts, they do look a little odd, as for the roof vent, if it still works live with it, unless you can get it replaced within the purchase price, or get a the price down, they are very expensive, just ensure it is leak free though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back