Sardinia & Corsica Unplanned!

Clunegapyears

When we leave S Germany after mid May for a friend’s big birthday (50... she’s another baby), we have no plans before our return in July. The tunnel is booked for 3rd July but we can easily put it back. Easter meal tonight and wine and destination thoughts flowing. Naples (again), Slovenia (again)? Places we love but perhaps something new ...

Sardinia and Corsica!!!!! Of course we don’t have those guide books with us, but have the internet. We prefer to wild camp, like scenery and walking & cycling, long lunches and have 2 dogs.

Questions for you folk are ... hopefully you can save me some hours burning data on research and getting confused in the process ....

1). How easy is it to wild camp on both islands? In May, June and July, I guess it will be busy ... so will we have to use campsites? Will we need to pre-book these? Hopefully not, as we tend to change our minds about how long we stay somewhere at least once a day.

2). Looking at ferries from the north of Italy to Sardinia, then Sardinia to Corsica, and back to the mainland via Nice (James’ daughter and grandkids are in Antibes). There seem to be a lot of sailing routes and 3 ferry companies to Sardinia. Any suggestions on routes or which company is most dog friendly?

3). How easy is it to travel around, visit places with dogs. Busses? Restaurants?

4). Any blogs of motorhomers that have visited the islands, or your own recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Katherine

Post duplicated on wildcamping and motorhomer.

I’ve only been to both islands by motorbike. I know MHs go to both islands, I think mainly it’s by ferry from Italy, we went from S. of France.

Corsica I felt was a bit too small for me, I saw many occasions of the narrow roads getting blocked by cars one way and then tourist coaches the other. 2 wheels made for easy passage. I was pleased to get onto Sardinia.

Sardinia was so much better, definitely the cheese to the chalk, the roads were wider, better surfaced, faster ?, and less manic in comparison. The scenery was more agreeable to me, not so ragged as Corsica, a lot greener. We did find some strange roads and surfaces though, on one occasion the tarmac just ran out and we were faced with a 5 mile unmade track or a 40 mile detour. Be careful of the pigs, they can out accelerate most vehicles ?. I managed to tear a hamstring with 4 days riding left to get home, not pleasant, but that’s another story.

If I could go to one only it would have to be Sardinia.

Just remembered I did a video of the rough track, ridden on my ZZR1400 hardly a cross country machine. I volunteered to check out if it was navigable.

I’ve got a lot of Romanian roads on video as well, sadly my trip was not good weather and the roads weren’t this good ?, the standards of driving were appalling.

Did you get out of second gear?!?

Planning now to go for over 2 months, split fairly evenly between the two islands. This will mean delaying our return to the U.K. until end July, so no Ireland or Scotland trip for us this year. Making the most of ability to roam while we can. Seem to be a fair number of wilding spots on both islands, and lots of campsites too.
Just ordered guide books to be sent out to my friend in Germany.

We traveled we Moby ferries.
Use the superwoman fare.
We paid around 100 euros per crossing.
Take a picnic on with you great deck space.
And watch out for those HORNY Sardinia’s and Corsica’s.

Overwintered there about 10 years ago. Corsica was not at all motorhome-friendly we found, not much scope for wildcamping though we nearly always managed it. Original plan was 2 months in each, but we were out of Corsica inside ten days. Found Sardinia much more laid-back, with people's attitudes more like in Italy (despite graffiti in the tunnel out of the port - "Tourist, this is not Italy" - in English!). People were helpful, even though we could only gesticulate and grunt in Italian. I don't remember very many campsites, but then we were well out of season so they might not have been open anyway.
Fully agree about the pigs which seem to be wild and can dash out of the woods right in front of you. There are some seriously dodgy roads in the south west, but there's usually a better alternative.
No doubt the apps will tell you more than I can about aires, campsites and what have you.
Don't miss Buggeru: lots of photo opportunities, and it's got other attractions too!137-3713_IMG.JPG

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back