Sargent 328 charging profile's

Molly 3

I have sargent 328 system with the factory charging profile set for lead acid , the manual it clearly states it can be changed to agm charging profile ,can anyone answer the question how can it changed

I have just had a glance at the manual online. This is what I read.
“The PSU is configured to work with standard lead acid leisure batteries, and in most cases is also compatible with the latest range of Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) batteries. Before fitting non-standard batteries please check that the charging profile described in 3.2 is suitable for the type of battery by referring to the battery documentation or battery manufacturer.”
This suggests that the charger only has one profile, lead acid, but they think it should be ok with some AGM batteries.

This is what Alpha Batteries says about AGM charging.
“Most Caravans and Motorhomes up until 2017 come factory fitted with non-AGM charging systems and to make things worse some manufacturers will state that they ‘may be suitable’ for charging AGM batteries – they simply aren’t, but why? If you take a look at the datasheets and technical specifications for AGM batteries on our website, you will see that we publish specific charge settings and this ultimately centres around voltage. AGM batteries are designed to require 14.6v – 14.8v when performing a full charge from a state of discharge, whereas standard lead acid batteries need 13.8v – 14.4v, hence this is what most onboard chargers are designed to deliver – not the 14.6v – 14.8v that AGM requires.”
Here is the link.

Reactions: 2cv
I have just had a glance at the manual online. This is what I read.
“The PSU is configured to work with standard lead acid leisure batteries, and in most cases is also compatible with the latest range of Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) batteries. Before fitting non-standard batteries please check that the charging profile described in 3.2 is suitable for the type of battery by referring to the battery documentation or battery manufacturer.”
This suggests that the charger only has one profile, lead acid, but they think it should be ok with some AGM batteries.

This is what Alpha Batteries says about AGM charging.
“Most Caravans and Motorhomes up until 2017 come factory fitted with non-AGM charging systems and to make things worse some manufacturers will state that they ‘may be suitable’ for charging AGM batteries – they simply aren’t, but why? If you take a look at the datasheets and technical specifications for AGM batteries on our website, you will see that we publish specific charge settings and this ultimately centres around voltage. AGM batteries are designed to require 14.6v – 14.8v when performing a full charge from a state of discharge, whereas standard lead acid batteries need 13.8v – 14.4v, hence this is what most onboard chargers are designed to deliver – not the 14.6v – 14.8v that AGM requires.”
Here is the link.
Thank you

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back