SCAM ??

Trigger

I have a couple of items for sale on Gumtree and Facebook market place, collection only and pay on collection NO PAYPAL or Bank transfers , I have received 2 separate E Mails about 2 items asking to buy them I replied OK I then got further E Mails saying , thankyou I want the items but due to work commitments I cannot collect so I WILL send a DPD courier to you door , they will pay you the money cash and collect the items from you ??? 1 email even offered me £20 extra for 1 of the items to secure it for him / her ?? NO thanks was my reply NOT interested in that , I have not heard any thing since from them ? So I assume it is a Scam and something to watch out for, Or do any of you know any different ?

Wife gets that one all the time but reports it, buy the way id posting on a pc make sure its running linux with containers, because if you dont facebook will go through your whole system for information, and never do it on a mobile, my wife did this and now regrets going against my advice, win/android users beware. :eek:

I have a couple of items for sale on Gumtree and Facebook market place, collection only and pay on collection NO PAYPAL or Bank transfers , I have received 2 separate E Mails about 2 items asking to buy them I replied OK I then got further E Mails saying , thankyou I want the items but due to work commitments I cannot collect so I WILL send a DPD courier to you door , they will pay you the money cash and collect the items from you ??? 1 email even offered me £20 extra for 1 of the items to secure it for him / her ?? NO thanks was my reply NOT interested in that , I have not heard any thing since from them ? So I assume it is a Scam and something to watch out for, Or do any of you know any different ?
I’ve had this happen to me last year with something I was selling. It is a scam; exactly the same wording.

I had a similar message conversation recently with someone from Bristol who wanted to buy a piece of furniture I was selling, (just substitute UPS for DPD). Either English wasn’t his first language or he was trying to confuse me into accepting his offer, but I declined assuming a scam.

Yea its a scam we had exact same message told them to fxxx orf

Now if they told me I would get the cash at the door I would certainly be suckered in.
So what exactly is the scam please ?

Another one to watch is if you advertise and item and P&P but the buyer says he's local and wants to collect, you say ok but cash only then they pay via Paypal, I've had this twice, they collect and then try to get a refund saying they have never collected, first time I got stung, but a small amount, next time I took a picture of them and the vehicle they turned up in and the passenger in the car, Paypal did refund them but as I had a picture of them with the item in their hand I still go paid.

New thing coming up from Paypal is they are no longer going to pay for return postage.

See this also re Paypal

we
Now if they told me I would get the cash at the door I would certainly be suckered in.
So what exactly is the scam please ?
I was asked for my name, full address and email address in order for UPS to be able to deliver the money etc. I could understand the need for my address, perhaps even my name, but it seemed as though I would be supplying too much information to someone for me to be comfortable.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back