Scandinavia

Trotter

GMJ’s question got me thinking. Norway, Sweden from the English Midlands by ferry.
Using Harwich- Hook would save using the Dartford Crossing and the highway to hell, aka M25. Any thoughts?

You also save driving from Calais North, so is 400Km, 250 miles shorter going home to Amsterdam.
Campsites are open in The Netherlands but full.

You also save driving from Calais North, so is 400Km, 250 miles shorter going home to Amsterdam.

That’s what I thought

Campsites are open in The Netherlands but full.

Probably not stop until Germany

Definitely worth considering. It’s a fair old drive up north and the main motorways all the way to Hamburg will be busy.

I’ve no definite plans atm . Quite often I’m guilty of thinking out loud. I met a couple from Gotland, Sweden on my last trip, they whetted my appetite, or it could be because I’m part Norwegian Blue, and I’m pining for the Fiords 🙄

Last edited:
We do not like ferries and the tunnel suits us but with a possible 3 month limit in place a Ferry is a good option as it saves "wasted time".
We did take the ferry from Hirtsals to Kristiansand as that suited our route in Norway and was only 2 hours
We came back on the short HtoH ferry and the Storebaelt bridge

We did a 5-week tour of Scandinavia using the Hook a few years ago. September is a good time because it was nearing the end of the season and most sites were nearly empty, we also found ports were good for a few nights stopover. Great holiday would like to do it again but this time includes Sweden and tour around the Baltic sea.

When we have used Harwich we have been allowed to stay overnight in the ferry car park. ( Per virus, sorry no update. )
We have stayed near the ferry in Hook van Holland but I understand the police are morning people on now.
There is a free Aire nearby but it is often full, others useing the ferry?

Still at the maybe stage. Pricing ferry’s. I’d have to be home before the end of September, so that would put a couple of MH meets at risk. Hollingsworth and Hereford. Got some thinking to do.
If I do go, I’d not need to stop near Harwich. I’m only a couple hours away. Hoping to clear Holland same day. Who knows. Not me. We’ll see how things go.

Isn’t Sweden expensive? You may need more than £25 Del 😂😂😂😂😂

Taking £30 and my Tesco card. Should be plenty. Plus I’ll take a van load of goodies and a full fridge and freezer.
Plus, aint decided if I’m going yet.
Probably will if everything goes right. It’ll be my last, second trip.
March April in Portugal is a definite.

Sums done, again. Reckon I'll have to give this a miss. This side of a lottery win anyway. Even then I'd need more than 3 balls. I keep forgetting there's no longer any wages coming in. Pricing ferry's alone, I'm nearly at £500. :mad: That's Harwich return, and Hirtshals return.
Looks like France, then. 'Tis a rough life. But someone's got to do it. Looking at going direct from the New Forest meet.
Anyone know if the Aires are open yet?

Six gears ago I used DFDS Immingham to Gothenburg and Brevic in Norway. About £700 but you get There in 30hrs.
Nice cabin, own TV and shower. NO PETS. ( Take your own drink to have in cabin as it is Norway's idea of duty free! Much more than U.K. shops. Do NOT exceed Norwegian allowances for taking alcohol in, big fines. )
Only takes 12 passangers, all the rest is freight.
You can't book it more than a week in advance as priority is given to lorry drivers.
Book direct with DFDS Immingham.
I'm not sure if it still takes Motorhomes.

Can you not drive from somewhere closer Del?
Tbh Neil, health insurance is becoming more expensive and difficult to find for a reasonable period. This year, or at a push, next year will be the last, multi trip year. That’s why I’m doing continental trips while I’m still able. France is still affordable atm, and still has and remains for the most part, an unspoiled countryside. Throw in the Aries, it’s motorhome bliss. Shame about the French. Can’t have it all.
I’m going to continue to do the Spanish and Portuguese annual trip, until the money runs out.
Next year, UK only, apart from the spring Iberian trip.
No doubt, your brains will be seriously picked over the next few months.
Thanks again for taking an interest.

Six gears ago I used DFDS Immingham to Gothenburg and Brevic in Norway. About £700 but you get There in 30hrs.
Nice cabin, own TV and shower. NO PETS. ( Take your own drink to have in cabin as it is Norway's idea of duty free! Much more than U.K. shops. Do NOT exceed Norwegian allowances for taking alcohol in, big fines. )
Only takes 12 passangers, all the rest is freight.
You can't book it more than a week in advance as priority is given to lorry drivers.
Book direct with DFDS Immingham.
I'm not sure if it still takes Motorhomes.
The idea was, Harwich - Hook, then Hirtshall - Kristiansand. Just too expensive for me. The dream was good, while it lasted 🥺

Better off not going.
Denmark/Norway may not let you in.
Sweden to much Covid !
Patience 1
Also I suggest a full 3 months needed (UK to UK)
eg June (all montain passes open) July August..too cold in Sept and many places closed or closing !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back