Schengen Limits

jagmanx

It might be handy having two passports you would still have to exit schengen after 90 days , but could go straight back in with second passport ?
Usually Illegal (ie 2 x UK PP) BUT if you have ROI ancestry you can legally ( I think) have an ROI (EU) passport and a UK one.
I do know of some who chose to get an ROI passport following the exit vote in 2016.
With a ROI passport unlimited time in EU !!!!!

Not so seriously....
Trev get across that border now !
Seamus maybe Ok as well

TeamRienza

I do hold both passports being a citizen of Northern Ireland, so could in theory exit and reentry but, if they look at the vehicle registration on entry and exit, it could become more problematic

To the best of my knowledge the ROI is not part of Schengen. They and the UK are the only non members. ROI opted out of that treaty in order to maintain the preexisting freedom of movement treaty between themselves and the UK. It will be interesting to see if they come under pressure to join Schengen or wether their citizens will have to be more closely monitored for the 90 day rule.

Davy

jagmanx

I do hold both passports being a citizen of Northern Ireland, so could in theory exit and reentry but, if they look at the vehicle registration on entry and exit, it could become more problematic

To the best of my knowledge the ROI is not part of Schengen. They and the UK are the only non members. ROI opted out of that treaty in order to maintain the preexisting freedom of movement treaty between themselves and the UK. It will be interesting to see if they come under pressure to join Schengen or wether their citizens will have to be more closely monitored for the 90 day rule.

Davy
BUT ROI is part of Europe so Schengen is irrelevant (surely) however......
Does NI give you and ROI passport ???
Vehicle another issue..surely irrelevant !

Last edited:

jagmanx

Interesting as well in That the NI/ROI border is likely to continue to be "Soft"
So travel to NI
cross to ROI no checks (NI to ROI agreement ?)
Ferry to France (from ROI) no checks (EU to EU)
Travel throughout EU no problem ?
An interesting Conundrum
More money for Lawyers ?

TeamRienza

An element of the good Friday agreement was that citizens of Northern Ireland could have British and Irish nationality. My bus pass is also recognised and valid both north and south of the border.!

Anyway, when exiting Ireland by ferry bound for Roscoff or Cherbourg and on arrival passports need to be produced. The same applies on the return leg. I think the 90 day rule has not been observed or enforced as it suited all parties, but now that the UK has begun the process of leaving, it may bring the anomaly into the spotlight for the Irish, although I suspect it will suit Brussels to gloss over it and continue as before.

Davy

TeamRienza

Sadly the passport checks have become more diligent over the last few years, probably due more to potential terrorist threat than anything else, otherwise in the scenario you painted, a GB citizen could take the ferry from there to N. Ireland and then drive south, get a ferry to France and duck under the 90 rule! But I don’t think that will be a runner as the ports and airports in ROI are scaling up for checks, certainly for goods and I suspect people also.

jagmanx

Given your "Dual Nationality" I see no problem as an EU citizen you are free to travel etc in the EU.
Just present you EU/ROI passport !

90 days is not relevent NOW or for you given what you say..
You could even travel via UK as long as you present EU documents.. Just my (logical) thoughts...
As you rightly say this might all change but the ROI government would surely contest as they are in EU (Schengen irrelevant)

RV2MAX

I was thinking more along the lines of UK and Australian ( I have) or UK and Canadian ( a friend has ) ? Dont think veh reg would be a factor ?

jagmanx

Yes USA and Canada are now (i believe) bound to 3 months by Schengen (and UK) rules
Brexit is irrelevant ! for Europe.
Unsure about UK only
Canada probably easier than UK BUT I do not know
I used to know about Schengen as my Thai wife originally only had a Thai passport.
She got UK citizenship/passport.. So Europe was easy until ?????.
As you may have seen in an earlier post.. We travelled to Scandinavia in 2016 for 4 months.
This might not be possible ahead
However Norway is not 100% EU Maybe that is a help or the way forward for Uk ???

Last edited:

WellWornTraveller

I think it is time to ban all Brexit related posts until we know for certain what is going to happen. This will stop and avoid fallouts. Perhaps Admin could set up a Forum for Brexit and all related questions and rants.

Bernie

jagmanx

Sorry Bernie I do not agree my posts are informative ..Only one was slightly provocative (#4) and I duly apologised.
My latest posts Re ROI and NI USA and Canada are valid and constructive.
I have direct experience of Schengen (and more)

2cv

I think it is time to ban all Brexit related posts until we know for certain what is going to happen. This will stop and avoid fallouts. Perhaps Admin could set up a Forum for Brexit and all related questions and rants.

Bernie
Post 22 on this thread addresses this, it is a tricky balancing act though.
When things become non motorhome related the threads are moved to Speakeasy.
Fallouts can result in posts being removed.

WellWornTraveller

Sorry Bernie I do not agree my posts are informative ..Only one was slightly provocative (#4) and I duly apologised.
My latest posts Re ROI and NI USA and Canada are valid and constructive.
I have direct experience of Schengen (and more)
Sorry I was not referring to you specifically if I gave that impression I apologise. I was just stating that I though all Brexit related problems should be in one forum.

Bernie

Trotter

Truth is unfortunately, no matter where we put brexit threads, it ain’t going away anytime soon.
Anyone going abroad is going to be affected. I’m going to be away over the exit date. It’s on the radio as I type this, they’re talking about delaying the date. I’m not going to get worried about it. It happens. It doesn’t. Nowt I’ll be able to do. Be nice to know what documents I’ll need to take though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)