Schengen Limits

Trundlebus

This is a genuine question. I have been giving this some thought and as of yet have been unable to come up with a definitive answer other than to comply with the 90/180 Short Term Visa restrictionists.
We travel extensively around Europe, one of the joys of long term travel, and am interested how people get around the 90 day limit whilst travelling in the Schengen Area. I know in the past we have pushed the limit by a few days but from what I understand there are people who Tour for 6 months plus in Europe, how??
Surely this can’t be possible, and if it is how do we go about extending our trips. I know that if we go out of the area it stops the ‘clock’ but there are limits to how much and how far we can wander.
I’m sure there is somebody out there that can shed light on this and de mystify the limits especially with the dreaded Brexit looming.

I look forward to you responses.

At the moment ( ie Pre Brexsh1t) there are no restrictions..
But this may well change ! (or indeed will)

We have experience of Schengen as my wife is Thai and has a Thai passport.
Before she got UK citizenship and passport we had to apply for said Schengen visa to travel to Europe

A pain in the proverbial.

It is a great shame that those who promoted withdrawal from the EU did not consider the consequences.
I fore see the likes of pauljenny and others having significant difficulties post B....

This is not intended to be political but inevitably it is..
WE traveled to Norway etc for over 3 months (needed) in 2016
Trips such as this will be more difficult

My thanks to Farage Johnson and Gove for this major F up !

Before she got UK citizenship and passport we had to apply for said Schengen visa to travel to Europe

It is a great shame that those who promoted withdrawal from the EU did not consider the consequences.
I fore see the likes of pauljenny and others having significant difficulties post B....

Thank you, so as I understand after the B day we will need to apply for visas and be bound by the 90 day rule as the UK will be classed as a 3rd country. Glad that’s sorted out

Thanks, my avatar is the Trundlebus. Currently enjoying the sunshine in Almerimar

Off topic but so am I, just watching a yacht being preped for the season. Windy and cooler today than the past week.
Bd..

Dear Phil is this forum going to become yet another infested by political know it all's who have no more information than the rest of us but insist on pushing their opinion into every thread or is it going to remain a motorhome forum?
I and many others are getting pretty fed up with everything being turned into a brexit topic and hope you can ban politics completely.

How is being concerned enough to ask questions about future travel political. I have been unable to find a definitive answer to our dilemma and had hoped the vast experience of forum members might have helped.
If I have offended tell me and I’ll clear off.

Haamster
Whilst I agree to some extent with what you post...
My comments on Schengen are valid and accurate..Things will (I believe be more difficult ahead maybe in 2 or 3 years).
It is not possible to discuss such issues without a political slant.
However I have no complaint if you do not like my reference to the 3 politicians..
However they do seem to me to be the main cause of the consequences thus a valid aside.
I usually refrain from political comments for the reasons you post..
Not a Brexit topic but a consequence of Brexit..
I made no other statements re the "B" word but I believe my thoughts comments are appropriate

Last edited:
I'll give you the answer I know for a fact. NOBODY on this forum knows what will happen after brexit but this thread like numerous others on our sister site will turn into a point scoring exercise then be closed. I for one hope this site doesn't go the same way.

I'll give you the answer I know for a fact. NOBODY on this forum knows what will happen after brexit but this thread like numerous others on our sister site will turn into a point scoring exercise then be closed. I for one hope this site doesn't go the same way.
Okay, sorry I raised the thorny subject and obviously upset people. I crawl back under my rock and ignore the world

A post a few days ago alerted us to q government site which quoted a "Travel document" to allow travel to Europe post Brexit.
This document specified a limit of 3 months as in Schengen.
Of real interest to many members who travel to Spain often for more than 3 months.
Thus of real interest (ignoring the politics !)

A post a few days ago alerted us to q government site which quoted a "Travel document" to allow travel to Europe post Brexit.
This document specified a limit of 3 months as in Schengen.
Of real interest to many members who travel to Spain often for more than 3 months.
Thus of real interest (ignoring the politics !)
Don’t suppose you have a link to said document,

You forget that the vast majority of UK citizens have to work and wouldn't get more than 90 days leave, and the majority of those that don't do not have a motorhome or caravan and therefore take a conventional holiday

True
BUT it does not does not mean that the previous "rights" of others should be removed !
I do not forget.
Maybe you have forgotten the many members of this community who will be affected !

Haamster
Whilst I agree to some extent with what you post...
My comments on Schengen are valid and accurate..Things will (I believe be more difficult ahead maybe in 2 or 3 years).
It is not possible to discuss such issues without a political slant.
However I have no complaint if you do not like my reference to the 3 politicians..
However they do seem to me to be the main cause of the consequences thus a valid aside.
I usually refrain from political comments for the reasons you post..
Not a Brexit topic but a consequence of Brexit..
I made no other statements re the "B" word but I believe my thoughts comments are appropriate
17.4 millions reasons not just 3.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back