Schengen Limits

Travel/health insurance covered, thank you Safesure. More than I wanted to pay, but everything is covered, even pre existing. Happy Daze. TBA £2.50 a day, ain’t excessive for peace of mind,

Good to hear of your plans - have fun
David & Judy (also Adria Twin, we met at the Henley in Arden meet)
we have done some of this route, see https://goo.gl/maps/rUjwccTAr4v

My, you have been busy. I’ll be very lucky if I can do a quarter of that. Great to hear from you again. Nabs has given me an app to plot my route away. If I can get my head around it, I’ll try to put it on here. Don’t hold your breath though. As I’ve proved on many occasions, I’m pretty useless at anything teccy.

"what are they going to do, deport you?"

3000 euro fine and banned from reentering for some years.

We have pushed the limit a couple of times over the 10 years we have been coming and they are getting less and less understanding each time. I'd suggest the Brits will not get much understanding once they jump ship.

We have extended our stay simply by considering greater europe plus morocco and turkey as our areas of interest - and of course UK and Ireland where we can get more time thsn we need. But thise wanting to sit in the sun in Spain for 4 months might just have to exolore morocco fir part of it.
Welcome to the real world

At the moment ( ie Pre Brexsh1t) there are no restrictions..
But this may well change ! (or indeed will)

We have experience of Schengen as my wife is Thai and has a Thai passport.
Before she got UK citizenship and passport we had to apply for said Schengen visa to travel to Europe

A pain in the proverbial.

It is a great shame that those who promoted withdrawal from the EU did not consider the consequences.
I fore see the likes of pauljenny and others having significant difficulties post B....

This is not intended to be political but inevitably it is..
WE traveled to Norway etc for over 3 months (needed) in 2016
Trips such as this will be more difficult

My thanks to Farage Johnson and Gove for this major F up !
SORRY NOT HERE PJ

How is being concerned enough to ask questions about future travel political. I have been unable to find a definitive answer to our dilemma and had hoped the vast experience of forum members might have helped.
If I have offended tell me and I’ll clear off.
DO NOT CLEAR OFF, DO NOT LOOSE, THE PLOT, PJ

Brexit evokes some strong emotions. Phil, and I think the site moderators do their best to avoid the sites becoming political in general, with such subjects confined to Current Affairs and Speakeasy. However, some consequences of Brexit are directly applicable to motorhomes and such subjects are left for discussion provided the thread does not get politically hijacked. Hopefully the balance is maintained between keeping the forums away from politics whilst allowing relevant motorhoming discussion.
HERE HERE, PJ

It might be handy having two passports you would still have to exit schengen after 90 days , but could go straight back in with second passport ?

It might be handy having two passports you would still have to exit schengen after 90 days , but could go straight back in with second passport ?

Usually Illegal (ie 2 x UK PP) BUT if you have ROI ancestry you can legally ( I think) have an ROI (EU) passport and a UK one.
I do know of some who chose to get an ROI passport following the exit vote in 2016.
With a ROI passport unlimited time in EU !!!!!

Not so seriously....
Trev get across that border now !
Seamus maybe Ok as well

I do hold both passports being a citizen of Northern Ireland, so could in theory exit and reentry but, if they look at the vehicle registration on entry and exit, it could become more problematic

To the best of my knowledge the ROI is not part of Schengen. They and the UK are the only non members. ROI opted out of that treaty in order to maintain the preexisting freedom of movement treaty between themselves and the UK. It will be interesting to see if they come under pressure to join Schengen or wether their citizens will have to be more closely monitored for the 90 day rule.

Davy

I do hold both passports being a citizen of Northern Ireland, so could in theory exit and reentry but, if they look at the vehicle registration on entry and exit, it could become more problematic

To the best of my knowledge the ROI is not part of Schengen. They and the UK are the only non members. ROI opted out of that treaty in order to maintain the preexisting freedom of movement treaty between themselves and the UK. It will be interesting to see if they come under pressure to join Schengen or wether their citizens will have to be more closely monitored for the 90 day rule.

Davy
BUT ROI is part of Europe so Schengen is irrelevant (surely) however......
Does NI give you and ROI passport ???
Vehicle another issue..surely irrelevant !

Last edited:
Interesting as well in That the NI/ROI border is likely to continue to be "Soft"
So travel to NI
cross to ROI no checks (NI to ROI agreement ?)
Ferry to France (from ROI) no checks (EU to EU)
Travel throughout EU no problem ?
An interesting Conundrum
More money for Lawyers ?

An element of the good Friday agreement was that citizens of Northern Ireland could have British and Irish nationality. My bus pass is also recognised and valid both north and south of the border.!

Anyway, when exiting Ireland by ferry bound for Roscoff or Cherbourg and on arrival passports need to be produced. The same applies on the return leg. I think the 90 day rule has not been observed or enforced as it suited all parties, but now that the UK has begun the process of leaving, it may bring the anomaly into the spotlight for the Irish, although I suspect it will suit Brussels to gloss over it and continue as before.

Davy

Sadly the passport checks have become more diligent over the last few years, probably due more to potential terrorist threat than anything else, otherwise in the scenario you painted, a GB citizen could take the ferry from there to N. Ireland and then drive south, get a ferry to France and duck under the 90 rule! But I don’t think that will be a runner as the ports and airports in ROI are scaling up for checks, certainly for goods and I suspect people also.

Given your "Dual Nationality" I see no problem as an EU citizen you are free to travel etc in the EU.
Just present you EU/ROI passport !

90 days is not relevent NOW or for you given what you say..
You could even travel via UK as long as you present EU documents.. Just my (logical) thoughts...
As you rightly say this might all change but the ROI government would surely contest as they are in EU (Schengen irrelevant)

I was thinking more along the lines of UK and Australian ( I have) or UK and Canadian ( a friend has ) ? Dont think veh reg would be a factor ?

Yes USA and Canada are now (i believe) bound to 3 months by Schengen (and UK) rules
Brexit is irrelevant ! for Europe.
Unsure about UK only
Canada probably easier than UK BUT I do not know
I used to know about Schengen as my Thai wife originally only had a Thai passport.
She got UK citizenship/passport.. So Europe was easy until ?????.
As you may have seen in an earlier post.. We travelled to Scandinavia in 2016 for 4 months.
This might not be possible ahead
However Norway is not 100% EU Maybe that is a help or the way forward for Uk ???

Last edited:
I think it is time to ban all Brexit related posts until we know for certain what is going to happen. This will stop and avoid fallouts. Perhaps Admin could set up a Forum for Brexit and all related questions and rants.

Bernie

Sorry Bernie I do not agree my posts are informative ..Only one was slightly provocative (#4) and I duly apologised.
My latest posts Re ROI and NI USA and Canada are valid and constructive.
I have direct experience of Schengen (and more)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back