School holidays in Europe

Seems to just be Austria that list Cronkle. Actually though having done Austria in mid summer it was bereft of motorhomes and not that busy really. It is a lovely country.

chrismilo;n15011 said:
Avoid avoid

Avoid what? School holidays? I would agree if you use a lot of campsites but we like to do long summer trips so avoiding the school holidays is pretty much impossible especially if you want the best of the weather. France I think is the best country to be in during school holidays as firstly its massive, secondly its got thousands of Aires which are generally not magnets for kids or families and they always seem to have loads going on of interest in the peak seasons. Its dead easy with a motorhome to get away from it all when you have had enough as well. I find for our sort of motorhoming which is generally on Aires and wilding it gets busier in the second week of September. There is kind of lull the last week of August and first week of September when those restricted to school holidays disappear and before the September brigade start to turf up. We were away from June to October this year and September seemed to be the busiest month. Weather was awful as well.

barryd;n15543 said:
Avoid what? School holidays? I would agree if you use a lot of campsites but we like to do long summer trips so avoiding the school holidays is pretty much impossible especially if you want the best of the weather. France I think is the best country to be in during school holidays as firstly its massive, secondly its got thousands of Aires which are generally not magnets for kids or families and they always seem to have loads going on of interest in the peak seasons. Its dead easy with a motorhome to get away from it all when you have had enough as well. I find for our sort of motorhoming which is generally on Aires and wilding it gets busier in the second week of September. There is kind of lull the last week of August and first week of September when those restricted to school holidays disappear and before the September brigade start to turf up. We were away from June to October this year and September seemed to be the busiest month. Weather was awful as well.

Barry

Well we had pretty good weather from mid-Sept, leaving Brittany down to 'The Chateau' (You know) across to Provence and right up to Dresden in mid-October.

But of course the Sun shines on the Righteous (Brothers):Smiling_Face_Emoji:

Geoff

nicholsong;n15547 said:
Barry

Well we had pretty good weather from mid-Sept, leaving Brittany down to 'The Chateau' (You know) across to Provence and right up to Dresden in mid-October.

But of course the Sun shines on the Righteous (Brothers):Smiling_Face_Emoji:

Geoff

You were lucky then Geoff. I think there were a fair few threads where people were looking for half decent weather even fairly early on in September. We ended up hold up in Lourdes for five days where it pretty much chucked it down every day waiting for a repair and a gap in the weather to head up into the high Pyrenees. We were lucky with our week up there though and apart from one day it was sunny but not warm.

October was better than September. It was like someone flicked a switch. We spent most of the high season in Provence where it was fantastic although a little hot at times down near St Tropez but as soon as we got to September and round the Med coast towards the Pyrenees it just changed dramatically and never recovered. We had some nice days but much cooler than I would have expected.

barryd;n15559 said:
You were lucky then Geoff. I think there were a fair few threads where people were looking for half decent weather even fairly early on in September. We ended up hold up in Lourdes for five days where it pretty much chucked it down every day waiting for a repair and a gap in the weather to head up into the high Pyrenees. We were lucky with our week up there though and apart from one day it was sunny but not warm.

October was better than September. It was like someone flicked a switch. We spent most of the high season in Provence where it was fantastic although a little hot at times down near St Tropez but as soon as we got to September and round the Med coast towards the Pyrenees it just changed dramatically and never recovered. We had some nice days but much cooler than I would have expected.

Blimey Barry, I couldn't risk five days in Lourdes - I would have been concerned about thunderbolts!

cronkle;n15575 said:
Blimey Barry, I couldn't risk five days in Lourdes - I would have been concerned about thunderbolts!

Yeah well me too but Mrs D loves all that stuff there plus there is a cracking little campsite on the way out of town for less than a tenner a night so it wasnt a bad place to ride out the storm apart from the day we decided to risk a trip out into the mountains on the scooter and it absolutely chucked it down.

Into the mountains and to the west is a high pass (can't remember the name) that was lousy with Golden eagles. Brilliant couple of hours watching them and, of course, the scenery. That was the dry day of our visit. It usually Ps down when we venture into the Pyrenees.

barryd;n15543 said:

I go to Greece in June no school holidays and mostly better hotter than August

chrismilo;n15885 said:
I go to Greece in June no school holidays and mostly better hotter than August

Oh I Dunno, In my experience Greece can be a bit too hot July and August but I agree, the Greek Islands at least are superb out of high season. North Easter Corfu was always my favourite (The Durrells bit). May, June or September and October. Can be really nice and really quiet.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back