Scooter trailers

Carrerasax

Scooter trailers

anyone tow one of these small sideways trailers for a 50cc bike? Any good? Much effect on fuel economy for ducato 130 2.2?

Ours is bessacarr 454 3,500kg Fiat ducato does this necessarily mean limited to 3,500kg?

Hi it all depends what licence you have and when you past your driving test. See link old + new licences.

https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

There will be a small black and white plate telling you what your van axle and train weight is. Its normally in the on the drivers door pillar.

Last edited by a moderator:
*****;n20044 said:
Our Scooter is on a factory fitted pull out rack and modified with the Armitage clamp down over the seat fixing.
I have often looked at the small scooter trailers for if and when we downsize and need a trailer.
One thing that I often wonder about is some of the small trailers have castor type swinging wheels, which are great for reversing, but I wonder about the strain on the swivel bearings when the wheels go over bumps and pot holes. It would be a bump at 90 degree to the bearing which can't be good.
Maybe someone who has one of this type can say how they stand up to long term use.

if you have the weight capacity on the rear axle, check out Armitage M/C racks

I was seriously considering swapping my Easy- lifter hydraulic rack which I have always considered to be well made for the Hydra trail trailer that has castors. Looking at one there is no suspension on the wheels and relies on the linkage between trailer and van for its suspension,which I consider poor. The trailer tyres must have to absorb the vast majority of any shock loading caused by potholes etc.which can't be good for the tyres, castors or load.
Foreign trailers of this type I have looked at have had independent suspension on the wheels so isolating the wheels from the castors and load, which has to be a far better system.
Something to bare in mind when looking for one. No doubt far more costly than the Hydra trail.
Personally I will not be buying a Hydra trail having looked at one for that reason.

*****;n20104 said:
Kito, unless my eyesight is failing, (I hope not) the images you have posted are not for caster type wheels and suspension and the trailers will behave as normal trailers.
Unless I have missed something!

They will be very short coupled and will be a real pain to reverse!

No ***** your eyes are not failing you I saw that they were not caster type wheels. As Carrerasax was asking if any one had any experience towing a side loading bike trailer. As I said I had been looking at side loading bike trailers my self. The link was the ones that I had been looking at. And as you said that the ones you looked at had caster type wheels. thats why I said that the ones in the link had suspension. I totally agree with you that they would be a pain to reverse thats why I said its the reversing that puts me off and that I tow with a 6' x 4' trailer. I apologise for any confusion

I seem to remember from a couple of threads a few years ago on FACTS someone having big problems with these trailers with the casters that allow you to reverse when one developed a fault and they couldnt get bits. My concern would be more parts and bits that move the more likely you are to have an issue with it. I met some friends in the Lakes that had one and it seemed very complex. Not only that but it took them about half an hour to get the bike on or off. I can see the appeal in having something you can reverse but there is also the keep it simple factor I Reckon to consider. I got my rack fitted by Armitage trailers in Ferrybridge nearly a decade ago now and its been superb. They do a side loading trailer version of the same rack and it looks as simple to load and unload as my rack is but I dont think the wheels reverse. They make good solid kit though so may be worth considering. http://www.armitagetrailers.com/SideloadingMotorcycletrailer.htm

Looks to me like my rack and all you need is one strap to fasten the Steel and rubber seat clamp and one through the front wheel. 2 min job on or off.

*****;n20189 said:
Kito, no need to apologise at all, as we are just clarifying!
I would rather stick with a scooter carrier than a trailer, not as I am afraid of trailers, but it is easier. Just depends on rear axle pay load. Luckily we are OK at the moment, but we are looking at downsizing, so maybe!
A little minefield! Luckily a few of us seem to know the issues! Thanks again

My thinking of downsizing days are past I have just dropped from a 8ft minus the mirrors coach build to a high top but as the new van has a fiberglass rear door I cant fit a bicycle carrier to the rear door But as result of this thread I have been trolling the Web. The only way I can fit a bicycle to the rear of the new van is with a taw bar carrier and looking at the nose weights that the tow bar can take 100kgs So as I am getting younger i started looking at electric mopeds. as you don't need a CPC and just weighing in at 80kgs and the carrier would not be over the tow bar nose weight. It would also depend on the van. Its some thing that I will be looking at more. And would appreciate any info on this set up and any experience of electric mopeds

http://towtal.co.uk/scooter-carriers/

https://eriderbikes.com/

Steel plate under bonnet shows 3650kg 6150kg then 1- 1650 2-2000 but is a fiat label so not the conversion weight limits I guess!!!

I use an HydraTrail and haven't had any problems, it tows like a dream. Secret is to keep all the bearings (not just the castors) greased which I grease before every trip, oh did I mention it's great for reversing. Honestly I probably wouldn't use one for a big bike but for a scooter they're great even though I have loaded my 220kg Shadow on it and it still towed great, the thing is about 80% of the bikes weight is taken off the back of the van unlike a rack where 100% of the weight is on the van. I'm happy with mine but everyone has their own preferences and like everything in life none of them are perfect. There are advantages and disadvantages of all the solutions, you just have to weigh them up and get whats right for you..

Regards,
Del

Carrerasax;n20323 said:
Steel plate under bonnet shows 3650kg 6150kg then 1- 1650 2-2000 but is a fiat label so not the conversion weight limits I guess!!!

Hi It depends when you past your test. If it was Before 1 January 1997 See Below [h=3]Category B - if you passed your test before 1 January 1997You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.

After[/h] [h=3]Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

If you past after 1 January 1997 thats when you need C1[/h]

Do you think this chap worries about his trailers loading, The tyres look like they could do with a bit of wind.

IMG_0725.JPG

Dont touch them with a bargepole. I had a top of the range side loading trailer which jack knifed into the rear valance when reversing and the securing bar ate the seat on my BMW 650. I sold it very quickly along with the BMW. After that I used a home made rack which bolts onto my full width towbar to carry a twist and go 110cc scooter and then a Honda Wave stepthrough. I,ve sold the Honda but I,ve still got the rack and attached lighting board. You can have it for £50 if you want it but you,ll have to sort collection as it,s solid steel.
Tompa

Fazerloz;n20511 said:
Do you think this chap worries about his trailers loading, The tyres look like they could do with a bit of wind.

What a load of bollocks

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back