Scotland in October

Fun with cancer

Hi Guys. Some advice please. My husband and I were due to do a trip on my bucket list to the Italian Lakes (I have Cancer) at the beginning of September in between my numerous hospital appointments. Today I received 2 more hospital appointments in September so we only have a week so impractical. Touch wood no appointments for two weeks in October so thought we could go to Scotland to see the village and cottage where my mother was born , just outside Pitlochry and tour around. Another place on my bucket list. What’s the weather like in October and is it practical from the South Coast, near Hastings for just 2 weeks,? Best places to visit and are campsites still open? How about Wild camping? Love this site. Everyone is so knowledgeable for Newbies like us.

Sorry to hear about cancer getting in the way of things. I’d go up there, no midges, you’re as likely as anywhere else in UK to get a bit of fine weather. No tourists. No blinking kids around, what’s not to like?

Wild camping. I don’t do sites. We come up from Exeter for 2 weeks no worries. My preference is the Western side.

Thanks. The West side it will be. Is Wild camping easy in a big motor home? Burstner Elegance? Length 8.12 metres

I’m sure Phil wild camps in his he and others with big ones will probably come along to tell you we usually go up in Oct and we have always had really good weather, and as SimonM says no midges it’s really lovely at that time well lovely anytime!!

I travel up the west coast 6/8 times a year and much prefer the autumn & winter months. I’ve had beautiful weather in October and as others have mentioned no midges to contend with and a bonus is far fewer motorhomes and cars clogging up the roads.
I’m fortunate in having friends on Skye and in Ullapool to visit and use for waste disposal and filling up with water but there is the odd site open but these are few and far between.
I only have a 6.5 metre motorhome but I’ve seen all sizes of motorhomes accessing poi’s and just remember delivery lorries and refuse trucks have to go more or less everywhere so you should be ok in your motorhome.

I travel up the west coast 6/8 times a year and much prefer the autumn & winter months. I’ve had beautiful weather in October and as others have mentioned no midges to contend with and a bonus is far fewer motorhomes and cars clogging up the roads.
I’m fortunate in having friends on Skye and in Ullapool to visit and use for waste disposal and filling up with water but there is the odd site open but these are few and far between.
I only have a 6.5 metre motorhome but I’ve seen all sizes of motorhomes accessing poi’s and just remember delivery lorries and refuse trucks have to go more or less everywhere so you should be ok in your motorhome.
Thanks

Hi ya,
I often shuffle around in Scotland predominantly Wilding between Guyfalks & Easter in The Nest (My 30ft Long Motorhome) with Little Trouble. One of the things to be aware of is Road closures & Conditions, Lack of Convenient Fuel fill ups from the smaller outlets due to winter opening time.
I know that you’re tour time window will be limited but I went from ‘Heathfield’ to ‘Inverness’ in Around 18 Hrs (With Stops) if I remember rightly traveling through the night.
Be prepared for The Weather, Understand that you might have to stay put for a tad longer in one place due to Harsh Frosts lingering because the sun can’t chase it off as fast, & Just be sensible & Enjoy ?

Last edited by a moderator:
When we lived in Scotland we always spent time in October on the west coast and sometimes well up in the north as we always wildcamped it was wonderful to get right into the hills and watch the stags and listen to them at night. Weather wise in the ten years we were there I think we only had bad weather once when in the van in October.Go for it , try to forget your cancer for a few days ,enjoy yourself and I wish you well for the future. The only problem you may have is parking a big van in some out of the way places.

Best time of year in my opinion... Weather has always been good, no bloody hire van drivers being maniacs and car clubs are all at home polishing their precious instead of clogging up the race track called NC500.
You would need to be careful turning off the main roads up there but the main roads themselves will be fine for your van.
Carpe Diem
K ;)

Sorry to hear about cancer getting in the way of things. I’d go up there, no midges, you’re as likely as anywhere else in UK to get a bit of fine weather. No tourists. No blinking kids around, what’s not to like?

Wild camping. I don’t do sites. We come up from Exeter for 2 weeks no worries. My preference is the Western side.

Midges? Do you still get the little blighters in September?

Hello, a great place to visit if you’re up Pitlochry way is Glenmore and Loch Morlich. Absolutely beautiful place, we love it dearly, and the Camping in the Forest campsite (Glenmore) which is right on the shores of picturesque Loch Morlich, will more than accommodate your big van. It’s helpful too that there is a big new Aldi in Aviemore which is only a few miles away, and you can always get parking there - even for a big van - so you’ll be ok for your shopping !! Just watch your dates in October though, Scottish schools are off from 11 - 20 Oct and the whole area will be v busy. Another great site just north of Pitlochry is Blair Castle Caravan Park, lovely open views and a fabulous castle right next door. I hope you have a wonderful trip wherever you decide to go.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back