Scottish Western Isles

Dino

Hi folks, Im hoping to spend June this year visiting the western islands of Scotland (so I miss all the school holiday traffic and the increased amount of numptie drivers that this inevitably will bring)
I'm just looking for any practical advice to assist my planning. I've done the NC500 twice and various sojournes to the west coast but feel the isles need to be tackled en masse to make the most of the experience, so anything you can advise would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Although I do have a Berlingo micro camper without it I hiked and camped the Hebridean Trail last year. I saw many motorhomes and noted the good facilities for them including highway signs giving directions for chemical toilet disposal points.

Plan you’re rout ie crossing over via Ullapool to Stornaway or skie to tarbert and leaving from castle bay Barra to Oban try not too go back on yourself that way when you reach Oban you have a shorter drive south on way home. Use fishing harbours for water and waste disposal most harbours have showers for a small fee shops can be scarce and a wee bit pricey. Have a look at cal Mac ferry timetables and play around with it the ones I’ve used are hopscotch 23 or hopscotch 8 going from north to south.

Don’t stay too long, the Scottish shools start their summer holidays on 1 July 2019.

We found too many midges even late May early June last year.
Isle of Skye very busy with mhs.
Mull fab especially Calgary and Arran much smaller and quiet. Sampled gin at the bakers!!!!!
Wish we had time to include outer heb.
Enjoy!

I’ve lifted this from a post I put on another forum. As you’ve already done the NC500 I can’t see that you have much to learn. Hope it helps.

Thought some folks here might be interested in going to the Scottish Islands. If so, here is some info on our recent trip to Outer Hebrides, Skye, Mull and Arran

Rather than list it all out you can find where we went and photos in attached link: https://trackmytour.com/9307P

Things I learnt it had confirmed:

Love the Outer Hebrides
Skye too touristy for us
Best crab sandwich I have ever eaten was at Kirkibost community cafe
Yes everyone does wave to you as you drive round Barra and watching a plane land in sand is actually pretty neat
Forest Commission car parks in Arran and Mull have no height restrictions and no problems parking overnight
South Lewis much more attractive than Peter May books would have you believe
Harris Gin is gorgeous
Judy in Harris takes in washing (handy when wild camping so much)
Swimming in the sea without a wetsuit in October is bloomin chilly (had to be done as trying to swim in every land based shipping forecast area in UK and Ireland)
Seal point campsite in Arran has seals but more interestingly lots of otters
Community hall cafes are great (somewhat dull 1960/70s buildings but with really great home cooked food and lovely people)
When your engine goes into limp mode on the twistiest, narrowest, hilliest 14 mile stretch on North Harris you are VERY relieved when you switch engine on and off and it resets itself
Calmac ferries are great
Plus loads more stuff and will be going back

I’ve lifted this from a post I put on another forum. As you’ve already done the NC500 I can’t see that you have much to learn. Hope it helps.

Thought some folks here might be interested in going to the Scottish Islands. If so, here is some info on our recent trip to Outer Hebrides, Skye, Mull and Arran

Rather than list it all out you can find where we went and photos in attached link: https://trackmytour.com/9307P

Things I learnt it had confirmed:

Love the Outer Hebrides
Skye too touristy for us
Best crab sandwich I have ever eaten was at Kirkibost community cafe
Yes everyone does wave to you as you drive round Barra and watching a plane land in sand is actually pretty neat
Forest Commission car parks in Arran and Mull have no height restrictions and no problems parking overnight
South Lewis much more attractive than Peter May books would have you believe
Harris Gin is gorgeous
Judy in Harris takes in washing (handy when wild camping so much)
Swimming in the sea without a wetsuit in October is bloomin chilly (had to be done as trying to swim in every land based shipping forecast area in UK and Ireland)
Seal point campsite in Arran has seals but more interestingly lots of otters
Community hall cafes are great (somewhat dull 1960/70s buildings but with really great home cooked food and lovely people)
When your engine goes into limp mode on the twistiest, narrowest, hilliest 14 mile stretch on North Harris you are VERY relieved when you switch engine on and off and it resets itself
Calmac ferries are great
Plus loads more stuff and will be going back

We found Skye difficult and the amount of houses being built in every available bay with a sea view is astounding! Most of the roads are high above the waters edge and there are very few places where you can park up and get down to the water. Most of the roads on Mull we found are just a few metres above the waters edge although stopping where you would like to is almost as difficult. These single track roads are garbage. The western Isles are lovely but they are a pain if you want to stop and admire that beauty.

We found Calmac ferry staff very helpful and took great care when we loaded. Also, when I said my length was 6.75m we were charged for “up to 6m” with a friendly ?

Oo good for you! I also recommend either going or coming getting to/from Oban via Mull of Kyntyre and Isle of Arran to Ardrossan - also a good run through the lowlands to M6 with lots of places to stop. Arran is like a miniture Scotland. The calmac fares may go up if we exit the EU as they had to go down because of an EU rule.
Enjoy the trip and I hope the weather is good and the midges merciful - as if. Take a lot of citronella if you dont like chemical.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back