Securing electric bike on a rack?

Daisymini

Hi, I have a few questions regarding carrying an electric bike on your motorhome...

How do you secure against theft on an external bike rack, an expensive item like an electric bike whilst travelling?

Do you have separate bike insurance or is it covered by your van insurance?

Has anybody got any ingenious ideas for security?

Hi sue, we had insurance for our mountain bike about two grands worth in 2006, they were stolen from the motorhome in Manchester by using a petrol disc cutter to cut the bike rack because I’d used motorcycle chains to fix them to it.
Insurance didn’t want to know both house and van were with AA who I worked for and had staff discount,
Bikes chassis numbers were recorded on house insurance but because I transported them away from house on motorhome they weren’t covered, and likewise the motorhome bike rack was covered because it was part of the motorhome when I bought it but the bikes were not covered because I hadn’t told them I was carrying bikes, we now have piece of crap mountain bikes that cost me £100 for the pair second hand

I would be tempted with your set up to get a fibreglass box or aluminium box made up to cover it all then you could just secure the box and the scumbags won’t waste time breaking in if they can’t see anything’s in there

Hi sue, we had insurance for our mountain bike about two grands worth in 2006, they were stolen from the motorhome in Manchester by using a petrol disc cutter to cut the bike rack because I’d used motorcycle chains to fix them to it.
Insurance didn’t want to know both house and van were with AA who I worked for and had staff discount,
Bikes chassis numbers were recorded on house insurance but because I transported them away from house on motorhome they weren’t covered, and likewise the motorhome bike rack was covered because it was part of the motorhome when I bought it but the bikes were not covered because I hadn’t told them I was carrying bikes, we now have piece of crap mountain bikes that cost me £100 for the pair second hand

That's what I thought regards insurance! I didn't know if you could have separate insurance just for the bike being on the motorhome.

We have our bikes on our home contents insurance. We have to inform the insurer when the bikes are away from home which is not too onerous a condidtion. Ours are kept on a towball bike rack. The rack has a lockable clamp to hold it on the towball and there is also another chain to connect the rack to the towbar. Eack bike is held on the rack with another lockable clamp and then there is a motorbike style chain locking it to the rack frame. We also use the 'bike loop' part of our alarm system. The whole lot is covered by a Taylormade bike cover to make it more difficult to work out what is being transported.

Edit: the batteries are removed and carried inside the van when travelling.

Items specifically listed under the 'all claims' section of house contents insurance are covered wherever they are but I think it adds a few pounds to the premium. I've got a few bits and pieces listed on mine and you have to put a value on them, so they're covered up to that value. I put my engagement ring on the list years ago... thank goodness I did because one of the diamonds fell out recently and it would have cost me £750 to have a new one put in! Never tried putting a bike on the list though.

The simple thing is, for me anyway, to keep the batteries in the van and get a decent, say motorcycle, chain and lock

With regard to security, no one tests their own. Far too many padlocks are bought by size and price. Big is not always best. It's very easy to break off a two inch chinese padlock with two spanners. Old english style are broken by twisting. All you can do is buy time. The better you buy...the more time it will take. As andyjanet found out an angle grinder will remove most...or the rack your fastening too.

How awkward would it be to put the bikes inside. You need to find your comfort zone regarding money spent, inconvenience taken and risk allowed. Best of luck.

That's why I bought a van with a garage. My bike is covered while away from home as long as it is attached to an immoveable object. It is insured when it is attached to a fencepost but not the back axil of the motorhome. My house and van insurer both have notice of the bike, but it is insured under the household policy.

It is possible that someone might try to steal bikes from the bike rack while you are travelling, but I would assume that the greatest risk is when you are stationary. ;)
In addition to good physical security (locks, chains, etc.), a wiring loop through the bikes (frames, wheels, etc.) and connected to your alarm system is a good idea.

As has been said, you’re only buying time. To the determined thief, he is not bothered how much damage he does as long as he gets his “prize”. If he has the time,he’ll rip the back of your van off if that’s the only way to make off with your belongings. Most people are law abiding, but there are scrotes every where. Cutting their hands off may help. Lol, honest. Well maybe not.

Check it’s still covered if you transport it away like my post I didn’t realise I had to tell them each time I took them away from home perfectly ok if you ride them away but possibly not covered if transported

Check with your insurers,they all have slightly different takes on this.My bike is an add on to my house insurance for which I pay extra.They stipulate it must always be locked to an immoveable object.The van qualifies as that, but if the van is stolen with bike attached then bike is not covered.

Sue don’t you have a garage the same as Annie?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back