Security

Carrotts

Hi all. What security to have. Mine now after a break into the motorhome last year,they forced passenger door open. Removed trim by steering wheel. And removed immobiliser box. They then connect there own immobiliser box with there coded key. And away they go. So I fitted internal key locks on inside cab doors. Habitation door has external piece that locks over door. Steering wheel gadget that goes over steering wheel. Also now cobra alarmed. I also got off eBay 3 wireless sensors and one alarm. £18.99. One in garage facing door. One in she'd. Facing door. One in mhome covering all doors. The alarm is in the house hallway. Anyone entering any of those 3. Sets loud alarm off. It works,ask the wife she will tell you about me forgetting to turn off alarm when getting something from the sensor areas. It is surprising how quite the unwelcome visitors are, my two dogs Rottweilers will let me know if there are strangers on the drive postmen. Couriers etc. But they did not here my mhome break in last year. Still all for now regards to one and all. Thanks for all your threads.

I would add a guard on your catalytic converter.

They had the one off of my work van (Sprinter) and the bill came to £3k.

Ideally, you start with defensible space. Mark sure that where the motorhome is parked is not a "public space" in any way: put it behind a fence/gate. This doesn't have to be sufficient to stop thieves getting in, just enough to mark it as "your territory", so anyone venturing inside it is open to challenge.
Then add something that will alert/challenge. A wireless "driveway alarm" that detects anyone inside your space is amazingly cheap. And/or nosy neighbours.
But I'd also recommend a couple of trackers just in case the worst does happen. One hidden, another well hidden.

Ideally, you start with defensible space. Mark sure that where the motorhome is parked is not a "public space" in any way: put it behind a fence/gate. This doesn't have to be sufficient to stop thieves getting in, just enough to mark it as "your territory", so anyone venturing inside it is open to challenge.
Then add something that will alert/challenge. A wireless "driveway alarm" that detects anyone inside your space is amazingly cheap. And/or nosy neighbours.
But I'd also recommend a couple of trackers just in case the worst does happen. One hidden, another well hidden.
Definitely agree with off road parking/public space and a driveway alarm...I have a PIR in my garden looking across my drive which sets off 4 halogen downlighters in my porch...A pain to fit yes but, the more security you have, the more inconvenient it is!

Thieves are getting more brazen these days though.

We have had a spate of van break ins in our local town recently. One man went out to challenge the thieves as the alarm was going off. One of them held him off by sticking a sawn off shotgun in his face whilst the rest carried on with the break in. He told them the police had been called, but they knew they wouldn't be arriving any time soon.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back