Seems a strange idea to me

If you’re permanently on hook up , why not?

Yes but the main concept of this one revolves around the generation of the electric power using diesel!
The article suggests that for winter use it would consume 10 litres of diesel per 24 hours and summer use would be circa 3 litres per 24 hours.

£12.50/£5.00 a day......Winter/Summer.....I've not done the sums except gas tends to cost us about £1.00 a day most of the year and a solar panel for electric!

But £6/£3 if using red diesel which is legal for heating / cooking. Second tank could be where the gas bottles were.
Your £1 a day buys about 250g of propane (7kg refill) or about 700g of autogas.

I've tried to do the sums and ...
I base my daily use on Fidge 400g; Cooking 350g; Heating 4000g, so summer is 750g per day & winter 4750g which is quite a difference.
I use auto gas so I budget £1 in summer and £6.50 in winter.

If you read the article, you will see that they are utilising a thermoelectric generator that produces energy (150 W / h) according to the principle known as the Seebeck effect.
The generator consists of a diesel heater and a cooling unit among which are inserted cells that produce energy, exploiting the difference in temperature between the two parts. A 120 W solar panel and a 95A AGM battery complete the installation. A control panel optimizes the charge of the batteries and integrates other sources of energy.

The cost of this option is €6300 over the base price for the camper

So they are basically substituting gas appliances for electrical ones and utilising a diesel fuel source to produce electrical energy.
Doesn't that go against current eco thinking?

Ooh Aaah ! As you suggest (I think)
Too complicated
Certainly too expensive
Given emissions data Diesel is the current BAD BOY
Petrol may come back as no 1.
I could happily do with no gas if petrol and a system like the TOYOTA Prius has where the engine revs up as needed to top-up the battery bank.
What about an onboard LPG Genny to supply the battery bank ?
How ECO-Friendly is LPG vs PETROL ?
Trouble is in UK LPG re-fills are dying out ?

While lpg for generators does away with the fume it dies not have the same energy as petrol so is a more expensive way of powering a genny. I think the comparison I saw may have been bottled gas though and refillable made it more similar costs.

I am going to convert mine to dual fuel more for versatility if I get stuck anywhere

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back