Self build - luton van conversion for full time living - any one done it here?

Bizzle-dip

On our mission to convert our Luton van, only just starting out and TOTALLY overwhelmed by the enormity (and £££) of this task - anyone else here done it?

South devon based here

I had a old ldv based ex railway van that was kitted out as a mess van and converted the rear for sleeping when I raced stock cars but wouldn't dare try and convert from scratch best of luck and hope it's an easy task for you

Hi,
Ours is a Renault Master that we converted ourselves - Master Conversion .
It seems daunting when you first start, but if you break the work down into sections, ie framing, electrics, plumbing etc it doesn't seem so difficult.
You'll find lots of useful info on our sister forum - Motorhome Builder.
I live twixt Exeter and Tiverton, if I can be of any help please pm me.
Chris

It is a big job but it depends on what you want to do with the van when its finished. At one extreme it might be just for weeked trips in the summer, at the other you might want to have a van capable of independent travel pretty well anywhere in very cold or very hot temperatures. Or somewhere in between. You also need to be aware of weight as it is easy to overload the vehicle. There are certain requirements you need to comply with if you want it registered with the DVLA as a motorcaravan. Gas installations need to comply with regulations and at least must be tested by someone qualified. Also bear in mind the insurance for self build vans is not easy but not impossible to obtain. It would help if you joined a self build group and perhaps buy Build Your Own Overland Camper by Steve Wrigglesworth and / or Build your Own Motorcaravan by John Wickersham. - both Haynes manuals.

On our mission to convert our Luton van, only just starting out and TOTALLY overwhelmed by the enormity (and £££) of this task - anyone else here done it?

South devon based here
Not done a conversion from start to finish but done so many alterations on our Hymer nobody would recognise what the original layout was. Just take it step by step integrating the various trades as you go.
Happy Lutoning

It is a big job but it depends on what you want to do with the van when its finished. At one extreme it might be just for weeked trips in the summer, at the other you might want to have a van capable of independent travel pretty well anywhere in very cold or very hot temperatures. Or somewhere in between. You also need to be aware of weight as it is easy to overload the vehicle. There are certain requirements you need to comply with if you want it registered with the DVLA as a motorcaravan. Gas installations need to comply with regulations and at least must be tested by someone qualified. Also bear in mind the insurance for self build vans is not easy but not impossible to obtain. It would help if you joined a self build group and perhaps buy Build Your Own Overland Camper by Steve Wrigglesworth and / or Build your Own Motorcaravan by John Wickersham. - both Haynes manuals.
The Overland Camper book mentioned above is very interesting. Going to have lots of stuff that probably wouldn't apply, but even those parts are worth reading :)

Only did one van,big problem was finding bits at right price which eat up time,if money is not a problem and you are good with 12v electricks plumbing joinery ,bodywork sure then its easy,other wise step back and take a deep breath.
camper 1.jpg

Attachments

• van c.jpg
    van c.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 12
  • van e.jpg
    van e.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 12
  • vs2.jpg
    vs2.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 12
  • vs16.jpg
    vs16.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 12
  • wast tank a.jpg
    wast tank a.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 12
  • vs5.jpg
    vs5.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 13
  • van respray.jpg
    van respray.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 13
  • sw 4.jpg
    sw 4.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 14
  • lly.jpg
    lly.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 14
done a few of these, very much easier to work on as nice flat sides , good headroom and spacious .as all camper windows , doors, hatches etc are all designed for flat surfaces so they're straightforward to fit
best layout in these ,i've found, is to extend the luton floor to fit a double bed, put a seating /sleeping area under then a side entrance on the passenger side. the rest is dependent on what you do at the back

do you normally have to add in a front passenger seat to these kind of ex-Library trucks? (I would want a front passenger seat if I were doing done)

last one i did was my daughter's sprinter. we used an old caravan for windows, and most appliances ,wiring ,piping,switches, gas and plumbing,connections,etc, 200 well spent. we never use water heaters, one less thing to fit -shower is a warmed water and drop in pump. watch your weight , these vans can be a bit heavy

its really not such big job as most think, iv done 5 vans now.
its not the cheapest way into motor homing, but you do end up with a van you know inside out, and its exactly how you want it.
I haven't ever done a luton van ( I like a walk through ) but I fine the best way, is to decide what you can't live without, for us its fixed double bed, full bathroom and good size kitchen. then add in the outer items you want, storage, seating, etc. then draw a layout that fits all these items in.
insulation is very important if your full timing! I used spray foam insulation last time & its the best thing I did in our van.
good luck & have fun with your build.. Darcar

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back