Should I carry a spare tyre? AND legality of tyres older than 10 years

Well this thread scared me as I have just got a standard repair gel or whatever they give you, there is no place for a spare on my van, anyway I spoke with an engineering company who are going to make up a bracket for me underneath, it couldn't take an alloy just a steel wheel, so I have now just had a steel rim and tyre fitted delivered, just need to get the bracket fitted. It seems totally daft to me not to have a spare, you just never know and the aggravation of hanging about while they try to source one while yours is chocked up is beyond belief.

So thanks for the inspiration (y)
If you have a flat then getting the one under the van out can be a problem, put it on your bum and fit a cover, something I must do.sw  3.jpg

My Adria doesn't have a spare as standard (but I do carry one of the 4 summer/winter tyres as a spare - no doubt overloading it straight away) and same as most larger motorhomes in the USA, my class A doesn't have a spare, but I do have an unmounted tyre tied up underneath just in case because the road service will swap a tyre onto a rim if you have one.

My Adria doesn't have a spare as standard (but I do carry one of the 4 summer/winter tyres as a spare - no doubt overloading it straight away) and same as most larger motorhomes in the USA, my class A doesn't have a spare, but I do have an unmounted tyre tied up underneath just in case because the road service will swap a tyre onto a rim if you have one.
Good idea Tony however after my tyre blowout the rim was damaged. I sourced another rim on eBay for £35 and this is now stored in a cupboard with a tyre. Same space needed with complete wheel but just more weight but will cover all eventualities

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back