Shuttle question

jeffmossy

Rally Organiser

We will be using the shuttle for the first time soon and our train is 6.00 am , if we arrive a few hours before this can we stay somewhere to get our heads down for a couple of hours ? . Thanks in advance Jeff

When you get to the check-in more than an hour before departure you may well be offered earlier trains than your booked time. Simply decline the options and select the booked time and then head for the parking areas around the terminal. Can’t say it will be quiet but as good as anywhere in the vicinity. Dave

You can stay on site until your train is ready, there are electronic boards telling you when to get on. There's a good chance they will put you on the first one available anyway Jeff. It ace by the way, make a drink before you go, sit back and relax for half an hour and you'll be there before you know it. No more ferries for me, tunnel everytime. :D

Agree with the posts.
Arrive early..Then your choice whether to agree to an earlier crossing or not.
Given the time probably better to sleep in UK whilst it is dark rather than get to France earlier in the semi-dark.
Hot coffee in a flask...but you can make a sandwich or the like whilst on the moving train. Exiting Calais is a piece of p155.

Often they will offer you an earlier train free of change, we use tunnel all the time and will make a drink using electric kettle and a sandwich as soon as we get on by the time we’ve eaten these it’s time for unloading, don’t be tempted to buy fuel as you get off the tunnel it’s always expensive, you can get fuel anywhere within fifty miles of tunnel, you don’t need to check dog in going over, it only has a check on the way bavk

I would just take the earlier train then park up at the other side and have a kip at city Europe

Now I know what to expect we will probably get a couple of hours sleep , but on the other hand if it is getting light and we do get offered the earlier train , then maybe we will take that and go straight to Graveline for a day or two and plan the rest of our adventure

Yes IMO light would be the decider for us..especially as the are some good places very close to Calais.

When you get to the terminal, after checking in with the first cabin, follow the signs for motorhomes. This only takes you to parking near the shops, not embarkation as you were expecting. Train the dog to wait behind the line painted on the floor in the shopping arcade as there is nothing to tie them to and they aren't allowed to go any further. Alternatively you must wait until a friendly policeman appears who will hold the dog for you whilst you dash in to the AA shop to buy the GB sticker and headlamp deflectors that you've suddenly remembered that you forgot.
When you are ready to embark, then turn round, go back and follow the signs & arrows for France. You'll have to stop to show your passports at least 3 times more and they get upset when you drive past them, even if the lady sat next to them said you didn't need to stop again after she checked it. Although they tell you to stop at the green lights, don't, as green means go. Don't stay in lanes even though it tells you to - follow the other traffic and green arrows.

Or get a ferry and have a much more pleasant experience instead.

Caz we have used the ferry for the last 5 years and Lorraine does not like the dog being left on its own in the van during the sailing , so now we are going to try the train ;)

We have two dogs and it works perfectly. There is even a dog run/poop area at Folkestone.We often just go for a 25 minute nanny nap in the tunnel.

Caz we have used the ferry for the last 5 years and Lorraine does not like the dog being left on its own in the van during the sailing , so now we are going to try the train ;)

That was why I thought I would try the train this year. I won't be doing it again unless forced.

We have two dogs and it works perfectly. There is even a dog run/poop area at Folkestone.We often just go for a 25 minute nanny nap in the tunnel.

Nanny nap? With all that noise, creaking, rattling and shaking going on and the van feeling like it's about to tip over? :oops: I wasn't at all impressed with the dog run/poop area at Calais, never saw one in Folkestone. Didn't like having to get out and go into the pet checking area either, with the ferry you stay in the van for all that. In front of me was a woman with 4 cats in carriers and one with a dog that was trying to get at the cats. Plus some poor scared pooch had wee'd all over the floor and they hadn't mopped it up so Reg paddled all through it. Then they announced his Passport wasn't valid as not completed properly - funny, had no problem the year before on the ferry.

We’ve always had a very smooth ride over on the tunnel, and the dog exercise area at Folkestone is along the road to the car park opposite the shopping building. It’s a big fenced AstroTurf area with a separate area for dogs in heat and a shelter to sit in when it rains.
It’s about the only thing on the UK side that is better than the French side!

C
That was why I thought I would try the train this year. I won't be doing it again unless forced.

Nanny nap? With all that noise, creaking, rattling and shaking going on and the van feeling like it's about to tip over? :oops: I wasn't at all impressed with the dog run/poop area at Calais, never saw one in Folkestone. Didn't like having to get out and go into the pet checking area either, with the ferry you stay in the van for all that. In front of me was a woman with 4 cats in carriers and one with a dog that was trying to get at the cats. Plus some poor scared pooch had wee'd all over the floor and they hadn't mopped it up so Reg paddled all through it. Then they announced his Passport wasn't valid as not completed properly - funny, had no problem the year before on the ferry.
come on ... you’ve never had a rough sea crossing. Clutching your coffee and tummy by turns? Shuttle definitely smoother. Well,I reckon so ... we sleep through it!!!

I've had some rough sea crossings but they don't give me any problem with my coffee or my tummy; anyway they are part of the experience and the fun of travelling.
The tunnel is just like sitting in a traffic jam but with added bouncing about and worrying noises. Plus it costs more and really stressed me out.

I threw up on a really rough ferry, loads of school kids laughed at me, little buggers. ?
Passed my pile on the way off the boat with a skid mark through the middle of it. ?

Don't know how you manage that Wully. Every time I've priced it up the ferry wins hands down on price. Unless you go for a longer ferry time and further west or east routes, rather than Dover -Calais.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back