Side lights

andromeda

For those who are not aware a heads up.The lights on the sides of your van are now part of the MOT. I knew that one had gone on Leo but it became a part of the MOT criteria legally in March this year. I hadn't realised.
Wish the fail was that trivial but no. Apparently one large hole in exhaust to be sorted. Could have been worse. Still hoping to get to Drurridge with side lights legal of course

For those who are not aware a heads up.The lights on the sides of your van are now part of the MOT. I knew that one had gone on Leo but it became a part of the MOT criteria legally in March this year. I hadn't realised.
Wish the fail was that trivial but no. Apparently one large hole in exhaust to be sorted. Could have been worse. Still hoping to get to Drurridge with side lights legal of course
Do you mean the marker lights on the longer vans? Must say I assumed they always were. Useful to have that reminder (y) And it was something I forgot to pre-check before I took mine in for the MOT in May!
Would have failed as well as one was out apparently, but the MOT garage must have done their own quick precheck before the test as they replaced it (and a wiper) first so MOT was clean first time round :)

Last edited:
Hmm I have 3 orange running lights along each side of the vehicle. Shortly after collection last year I noticed one of the lights not working. No problem I thought I will just replace the bulb. The look of surprise on my face when I removed the cover to find that the bulb housing and wiring were missing. I can only assume that WildAx removed this to accommodate the internal fittings.

This is an intriging topic.
Reading this schedule - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/1/made - It looks like side markers are NOT required to be fitted in fact on a motorhome no matter how big or long?

Required
Side marker lamp Schedule 9: Part I

But for these Exceptions

• A vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;
  • A passenger vehicle;
  • An incomplete vehicle proceeding to a works for completion or to a place where it is to be stored or displayed for sale;
  • A vehicle the overall length of which does not exceed 6 m;
  • A vehicle first used before 1st April 1991;
  • A vehicle in respect of which the following conditions are satisfied–
  • (a) there is fitted to the vehicle all the lighting and light-signalling devices listed in items 1.5.7 to 1.5.20 of Annex I of Community Directive 76/756/EEC, as amended, which are required to be fitted under that Annex; and
  • (b) all those devices are so installed that they comply with the requirements set out in items 3 and 4 of that Annex including, in particular, item 4.2.6 (Alignment of dipped-beam headlamps).
(I highlighted the part that applies to a Motorhome)
Not saying that side markers are not a good idea though!

Reading this schedule - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/1/made - It looks like side markers are NOT required to be fitted in fact on a motorhome no matter how big or long?

Required

But for these Exceptions

• A passenger vehicle;
  • An incomplete vehicle proceeding to a works for completion or to a place where it is to be stored or displayed for sale;
  • (a) there is fitted to the vehicle all the lighting and light-signalling devices listed in items 1.5.7 to 1.5.20 of Annex I of Community Directive 76/756/EEC, as amended, which are required to be fitted under that Annex; and
  • (b) all those devices are so installed that they comply with the requirements set out in items 3 and 4 of that Annex including, in particular, item 4.2.6 (Alignment of dipped-beam headlamps).
My understanding too. It's why I asked about the end outline marker lights which are a legal requirement.

Confused i had a discussion a while back with an mot tech, he said that my marker lights where getting dim and the plastic was yellowing and this could be a problem, i found some on Amazon "not cheap" but made a massive difference to appearance and light emitted so thought it was a good investment irrespective of mot requirements.

I thought it was lights (orange) for above 3500kg and reflectors for below the weight.

Required

But for these Exceptions

• A passenger vehicle;
You may have missed the fourth bullet point which will apply to most motorhomes

You may have missed the fourth bullet point which will apply to most motorhomes
Nope, didn't miss it. it is irrelevant as if ANY of the exceptions apply, you don't need the markers. (if this wasn't the case, then every car and van on the road would need markers as they all go over 25MPH)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back