Sikoflex 295 UV

RoaminRog

Many Motorhomes have a window above the cab area. Some open and some are bonded. On our Autotrail Miami, it is bonded and I have just discovered that the bonding around 45% of the window has failed - two weeks before we are due to leave on our Italian gadabout.
It’s no secret that before we owned the bus, it spent most of its life either in Spain or travelling to and from Spain, and I am quite prepared to blame the excess of UV rays for the breakdown of adhesion.
I have ordered a tube of black Sikoflex 295 UV, intending to remove the window completely, clean up, and rebed the plastic window.
Has anybody attempted this before and got any tips to make the job straightforward please.

Most straightforward is to have it done professionally. Many Hobby motorhomes were recalled when these things started flying off at high speed.
DSCF1816.JPG

I would get it dons by a professional.
You would need scaffolding or similar for safe and usable access and the skill to do it properly.
If you observe soft top sports cars you will notice the airflow causes the roof to billow up due to reduced pressure. As with aircraft wings.

I would get it dons by a professional.
You would need scaffolding or similar for safe and usable access and the skill to do it properly.
If you observe soft top sports cars you will notice the airflow causes the roof to billow up due to reduced pressure. As with aircraft wings.
Thanks Phil.

Thanks Jeff,
Brilliant idea, but I thought “It’s only the same as bedding a skylight into a bed of Sikoflex, what can possibly go wrong”?
So, with the help of 4x4 man (Kevin), the window came off this afternoon, and it was obvious that it was only just attached anyway. Most of the old adhesive is off now and tomorrow is reserved for a good final clear up and clean, ready for the new bed of Sikoflex. Interesting to see that spacers had been used, to leave a thickness of two or three mm of adhesive.
Will post pictures tomorrow

Thanks Jeff,
Brilliant idea, but I thought “It’s only the same as bedding a skylight into a bed of Sikoflex, what can possibly go wrong”?
So, with the help of 4x4 man (Kevin), the window came off this afternoon, and it was obvious that it was only just attached anyway. Most of the old adhesive is off now and tomorrow is reserved for a good final clear up and clean, ready for the new bed of Sikoflex. Interesting to see that spacers had been used, to leave a thickness of two or three mm of adhesive.
Will post pictures tomorrow
Give it a good few days to go off Roger it will be slow setting this weather, Your a man just like me get on and do it your self

Haven’t set it yet Dave, going to spend tomorrow cleaning everything up, and waiting for the Sika to arrive.
But yes, I will give it days to cure, still got a couple of weeks before we leave.

You probably know Rog, but if you need spacers, tile ones would be a good option and should be easy to get.

Have fun!

Well, still trying to get on with this job.
Up on the roof, I noticed that the lounge skylight was also loose and leaking. So I positioned the overcab screen back in place and held it in place with gaffer tape while we tackled the skylight. The first attempt was abysmal because when we checked this morning, the rain that had collected on the roof, was pouring in. Todays attempt appears to have been successful. We have had rain this evening, and I have just been outside to check, and inside is as dry as a bone.
Hopefully, tomorrow will be dry enough to tackle the overcab screen. Fingers crossed!
When we finally get the screen positioned and bedded in, I’m going to cover it with an old duvet and apply heat from underneath to encourage the Sikoflex to begin to cure, then I may leave the heating on for a couple of days, just to give it the best chance possible.

Last edited:
Had a completely rain free day today, so it was off with the overcab window, and had all the time in the world to scrape/clean the old adhesive in the frame and key the outer edge of the pane, finishing off with Rubbing Alcohol.
Then 4 x 4 man (Kev) came over and ran a healthy bead of Sikoflex 295 UV all the way round the frame and with the help of two sucker cups with handles we positioned the pane over the frame and bedded it in, pressing down onto the existing spacers.
Leaving it overnight now, with gentle heat underneath it, and in the morning, just as a precaution, I intend to drill holes for four (number plate) nuts and bolts, to make sure there is no chance of it ever flying off, even if the adhesive fails in years to come.

We have had a slow lazy rain, all day today, and I’m pleased and relieved to report no leaks at all to either of the repairs.
Decided to only drill two holes for the number plate bolts, in the bottom two front corners. Bit worried about the cab/body twisting during travel and figured three or more bolts may not allow stress movement, but two should be fine.
All tools back in the garage, van tidied up and back to normal, decided to leave a gentle heat on overnight for another night, just to make sure, especially as the forecast mentions snow and freezing temps.

We have had a slow lazy rain, all day today, and I’m pleased and relieved to report no leaks at all to either of the repairs.
Decided to only drill two holes for the number plate bolts, in the bottom two front corners. Bit worried about the cab/body twisting during travel and figured three or more bolts may not allow stress movement, but two should be fine.
All tools back in the garage, van tidied up and back to normal, decided to leave a gentle heat on overnight for another night, just to make sure, especially as the forecast mentions snow and freezing temps.
No rain here Roger sun out all day but bloody cold lol

Very thin scattering of snow this morning, but it had all but melted by the time I took Max for his walk around the block. So it was probably a good idea to keep some heat on overnight. Will probably do the same this evening as well, just to give it every chance to cure, before we leave on Monday.

Had a little wet spot this morning about 7am since then sunny and dry 8c, Been out getting some timber to make waste bin sheds for family members keep me going for a bit

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back