Ski / Snowboard / MTB recommendations

ActiveCampers

Not this year, sadly due to battered bodies, but thinking next summer/winter - so would be really pleased to hear of any top tips for destinations where there are reasonable facilities for snowboarding over winter, and mountain biking over summer with good campervan facilities (campsite with hookup over winter!). We'll probably be looking Alps or Pyrenees.

We'll start - we love Valloire in the french alps - campsite €27/night with 13A elec over winter; and a few years ago you could get an annual pass for winter and summer for around €250. Just checked, its now €489 and no summer cover - so gone up a bit! Spent many months there - great resort, "genuine" village rather than just a concrete resort. Never busy, seldom queues, frequently empty slopes. Bliss.

Sierra Nevada in Spain is good for convenience - "aire" @ 7800ft - straight out of van into a run - but facilities are a bit rough to enjoy!

Bourg st maurice, decent camp site at far end across the road from big supermarket and garage with French gas bottles. Decent size town and huge ski area, chamonix less than an hour down the road.

Les Gets motorhome site on one of the slopes so ski in ski out, and according to my dentist some of the best mountain bike routes in Europe.

Swiss Magic Pass https://www.magicpass.ch/en/

Covers over 30 resorts in Western Switzerland, including about a dozen for summer gondolas as well, from about £350 for the season if you book in the Spring before prices start to rise.

We've used it for two 2 month long winter trips and stayed mostly in skilift carparks for free. Adequate service points around including some proper aires with hookup, not so many campsites in resorts (expensive).

We spent a few months in Valloire and on the whole these resorts are less busy. My favourite is Les Mosses, a Col with drag lifts only (yes I ride a board!), also Grimentz, Les Diablerets (Gryon/Villars) and Charmey.

Les Mosses
20180129_111318.jpg

Last edited:
Swiss Magic Pass https://www.magicpass.ch/en/

Covers over 30 resorts in Western Switzerland, including about a dozen for summer gondolas as well, from about £350 for the season if you book in the Spring before prices start to rise.

We've used it for two 2 month long winter trips and stayed mostly in skilift carparks for free. Adequate service points around including some proper aires with hookup, not so many campsites in resorts (expensive).

We spent a few months in Valloire and on the whole these resorts are less busy. My favourite is Les Mosses, a Col with drag lifts only (yes I ride a board!), also Grimentz, Les Diablerets (Gryon/Villars) and Charmey.

Les Mosses
View attachment 61313
549CHF? Not quote £350 - does the price vary? Regardless, seems a really good price for the amount of slopes. How easy is it to get between - and is there much camping? Oddly pass is May-->April - so summer then winter. Valloire was winter then summer!

Will hit Dr Google tomorrow, thanks

That is a great price for a season, I've paid about half that for a week in France with a full season pass being over £1000

This is from a post I made in the "Snowheads" ski forum a few years ago.

On the whole we chose ski lift carparks in rural areas, there are a couple of "aire de camping car" with servicepoints and a few campsites as well. The ten places we stayed were:

Bugnenets-Savagnieres: coach parking area
Charmey: aire with servicepoint and payable elec hookup, adjacent to gondola. CHF15 per day including eurorelais token.
Crans Montana: campsite €35 per day (bit of a hike to lifts or get bus)
Grimentz: aire with servicepoint and free hookup. CHF5 per day carparking plus CHF15 per day for motorhome (which judging by Swiss campers seemed to be "optional")
Les Diablerets: official motorhome parking spaces in carpark next to sports centre, no servicepoint but toilets at sports centre open all night and water available, free.
Les Mosses: unofficial motorhome parking at Arsat lift carpark halfway to La Lecherette. Several campers at weekends, no facilities but lift toilet nearby.
Leysin: aire by ice rink but servicepoint closed in winter (grey waste ok), free.
Moleson: rural lift carpark.
Ovronnaz: several carparks, we chose last on right 400m before chairlift.
Gryon (Villars): official aire with servicepoint but only 2 places, in carpark opposite tourist info CHF2.80 pppn local tax. Also a campsite right by the lift station.

Servicepoints in main valley: Villeneuve; outside campsite was working. Motorway services just north of Martigny was out of order but could dump waste. St Leonards servicepoint closed (but could overnight park). Saviese closed but could dump waste (and park). There is also a campsite near Sion that friends used a couple of times to replenish and do the laundry. You can also officially overnight at the Thermal Baths at Saillon and use facilities.

Gas. The only lpg available south of Fribourg were at the ENI station by the airport in Sion, and motorway services at Lausanne (all others shown on mylpg.eu were closed). We bought Swiss Vitogaz bottles at about CHF44 for a 10.5kg bottle. Consignment charge is CHF55 deposit but you get a deposit card and a 100% refund upon return, Vitogaz dealers widespread and in most places listed above.

There were several of the smaller areas which we didn't get to where rural ski lift carparks were also available, notably Nax.

In all we spent about £200 on parking and camping fees during 7 weeks in resorts. This trip was our least expensive 2 month trip and the most varied and enjoyable.

Saas Fee is the most notable addition since I posted that. A dedicated motorhome aire with electric hookup and a small toilet block plus services.
There are also a few campsites in the Rhone valley which are open all winter., near Sion and at Villeneuve by Lake Geneva. There are several new areas on the magic pass in the Jura which have campsites nearby but haven't been to them.

Ps. The pass started at CHF499 this year which lasted till mid summer then it starts to creep up.

Last year we drove up to Arolla which is at the end of the world! No overnight parking allowed in the main carpark but we parked down the road a bit: glad we went...

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back