Sliding door on Autotrail Vline

VWann

Free Member

The sliding door on our van is proving difficult to open. After several pulls on the handle you eventually hear like a suction noise as it is released and it will open. It is also difficult to open from the inside. We have tried using the spray for zips on awnings and also tried rubbing a thin coating of oil on it to no avail.
Has anyone else had the same problem or have any suggestions as to how to fix it?

The sliding door on our van is proving difficult to open. After several pulls on the handle you eventually hear like a suction noise as it is released and it will open. It is also difficult to open from the inside. We have tried using the spray for zips on awnings and also tried rubbing a thin coating of oil on it to no avail.
Has anyone else had the same problem or have any suggestions as to how to fix it?
this is a serious suggestion... open one of the cab doors or windows and see if that makes a difference.

if so, you have more information to work with (I recall a few comments on the VW forums about sliders being hard to close due to air pressure. maybe opening could be similar?)

Last edited:
A couple of times the sliding door on our V-Line hasn't opened.

In both cases it was my fault for not pulling the handle vertically, but slightly skew, cos I was rushing.

this is a serious suggestion... open one of the cab doors or windows and see if that makes a difference.

if so, you have more information to work with (I recall a few comments on the VW forums about sliders being hard to close due to air pressure. maybe opening could be similar?)
Thank-you. We've tried opening opening the cab door. That didn't work either.

Thank-you. We've tried opening opening the cab door. That didn't work either.
It was a long shot and more related to closing the door, but worth a check.

A couple of times the sliding door on our V-Line hasn't opened.

In both cases it was my fault for not pulling the handle vertically, but slightly skew, cos I was rushing.
Thank you. The door is extremely difficult to open from the inside as well, which I find scary. It would appear to be something to do with suction on the rubber as you can hear the noise as it gradually releases.

Not sure where you have applied the oil but I wouldn't put any on the rubber door seal, oil isn't good for it. I suspect the suction noise you hear may be the door seal sticking to the door frame. Try cleaning the door seal with mild soapy water and the door frame itself (where the seal contacts it) dry it, then apply talc or chalk powder to it with a cotton ball. It works a treat on mine.

Hope this helps.

Cleaning and talc sounds like a possible solution. The problem with lubes, like silicone & oil etc is that they collect dirt which then transform into a grinding paste. Bike chains are a case in point and even so-called dry lubes will collect grime and the chain will need a regular cleaning and re-lubing.

Cleaning and talc sounds like a possible solution. The problem with lubes, like silicone & oil etc is that they collect dirt which then transform into a grinding paste. Bike chains are a case in point and even so-called dry lubes will collect grime and the chain will need a regular cleaning and re-lubing.
Thank you.

Not sure where you have applied the oil but I wouldn't put any on the rubber door seal, oil isn't good for it. I suspect the suction noise you hear may be the door seal sticking to the door frame. Try cleaning the door seal with mild soapy water and the door frame itself (where the seal contacts it) dry it, then apply talc or chalk powder to it with a cotton ball. It works a treat on mine.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your helpful reply. It makes sense. We are touring Ireland at the moment. I'm sure one of the village shops will have a small baby talc we could buy.

For anyone who may be interested we travelled Cairnryan to Larne (2hours) as we live in Scotland. There are no restrictions on bring in food on this route for your personal use. However you now need pet passports.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back