Smaller Lake District Sites

• Thread starter Deleted member 5608
  • Start date

Deleted member 5608

Hello All -

We know the Lakes very well but have only ever stayed there once or twice in our van. We're going in a couple of weeks, and are looking for the perfect site - I'm sure that's not too much to ask :)

We have a small van with few facilities, so are keen to have EHU and showers. We prefer small, quiet sites, open in March, and adult-only is fine. Any recommendations?

We know a lovely spot on the southwest edge of Windermere, but it doesn't have loos or showers, so is a bit less appealing especially in cold weather when we're not going to go and swim in the lake! A more basic site would be fine, if there's a swimming pool just down the road. Or a big site where you're sufficiently spaced out that you feel as if you're on a small site. :)

Thanks in advance!
Quentin

Thanks, I do use that, but I got confused when the lovely (but basic) site we'd used before wasn't listed. And they seemed to have fewer than I expected. I started to wonder if their index wasn't as complete as I'd thought.

But I had missed an important point: when using the map view, you may still need to click through several pages. Then I found quite a few more!90B1065C-4B8E-4428-80D1-8778B2EB2B09.jpeg

Hello All -

We know the Lakes very well but have only ever stayed there once or twice in our van. We're going in a couple of weeks, and are looking for the perfect site - I'm sure that's not too much to ask :)

We have a small van with few facilities, so are keen to have EHU and showers. We prefer small, quiet sites, open in March, and adult-only is fine. Any recommendations?

We know a lovely spot on the southwest edge of Windermere, but it doesn't have loos or showers, so is a bit less appealing especially in cold weather when we're not going to go and swim in the lake! A more basic site would be fine, if there's a swimming pool just down the road. Or a big site where you're sufficiently spaced out that you feel as if you're on a small site. :)

Thanks in advance!
Quentin

Hi Quentin.....we've used the following sites over the last few years, all near Coniston:-

Shepherds View, Torver....ehu, no toilets or showers.
Church House Inn, Torver...ehu, toilets, showers. This one is a Caravan Club 5 van CL, so you need to be a member.
Coniston Hall Farm, Coniston....no ehu, has toilets & showers, park anywhere...gets too noisy for us at bank hols, otherwise ok.

Would be interested in the site you use at Windermere.

regards

Allen

Hi Quentin.....we've used the following sites over the last few years, all near Coniston:-

Splendid! Many thanks, Allen - I'll take a look. I'm fond of the Coniston area, too. I stayed just one night at Coniston Park Coppice on the way up to Scotland at Christmas, which was a big site, but very quiet when I was there and reasonably segmented so it didn't seem too large. I'm guessing it gets pretty busy when it's not mid-winter!

The place we stayed near Windermere is called Lakes and Fells Caravan Site, and was really lovely and peaceful. Adults only, and hidden away with, if memory serves, just about 5 pitches. It has EHU, water, and chemical disposal, and we really liked it. Don't tell too many people about it! We used a loo tent to make our little T5-based van a bit more civilised, but for showers we took advantage of the fact that my brother's family were renting a cottage about half a mile away :)

I've seldom felt a desire for a bigger van, but I can see that having a shower on board would open up more options in the small-and-quiet category!

The old school house near Broughton in Furness, small secluded and near some of the best pubs in Cumbria, biased because I live a stone throw away.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back