Smuggled - channel 4

I don't think there's ever been a time when customs haven't come inside my van for a look see at French ferry ports, inside toilet esp. Funny not one has ever looked in the storage area under the fixed bed. Maybe they think it's a bit odd me being on my own. I was once stopped on the road north somewhere inland of La Rochelle by French customs doing routine checks. Maybe I look like a "donkey- type-of-person".

I did a lot of channel crossings in a UK registered vw transporter (2009 to 2019) and used to be stopped the majority of the time coming into the UK from France/Belgium/Holland. Most of the time the customs would want the side and rear doors opening to check for hidden people, and that was it.
Going into the UK one time, one UK customs guy asked about knives, so I told him I had kitchen and "workshop" knives, and he wanted to see them all, then he wanted to take them all. I argued with him and eventually convinced him that I was using them for kitchen and workshop reasons. I then showed him my ice axes and had to explain to him that they were sport equipment. I didn't have to hand them over, but he wasn't happy. I was 45 at the time, and had work suits in the van, which might have convinced him I wasn't the UK version of a gang banger.
I did forget to tell him about the hand axe.
I'd also get stopped and searched very often going into Switzerland (where I worked) travelling in from Germany (skiing). They'd be very professional, check my documents, open the doors, thank me and let me go.
I was stopped twice in one day in Germany once, they were very professional both times.
The day after the Bataclan terrorist attack I was parked up on a German autobahn lay-by during the day having a travel snooze, and "knock knock", had 2 police go through the van in quite a detailed manner. The younger cop wanted to check every little hidey hole for (presumably) drugs, whilst the older cop just checked for hidden people, checked my documents and then got got the younger cop to stop so that they could leave and presumably check for more fleeing/travelling terrorists. They were very polite and professional.
Apart from those times, I've never been stopped.

We were pulled over by UK customs officer 4-5 years ago. He wanted to enter our motorhome, presumably to check for illegal immigrants. Obviously, he didn't find any and was about to leave so I asked him if he wanted to check the garage?
"What's that?" he said. I explained and mentioned that it could probably accommodate 4 or 5 illegals.
"Then I had better have a look, eh?" He genuinely had not idea what he was doing.

Anybody watching this?

its a documentary about people smuggling, and is essentially about Brits attempting to come back into the UK without a passport whilst being filmed by Channel 4.

it makes me wonder - has anyone ever been stopped and searched? I’ve only reentered in the MH a half dozen times, and a further 3 times in a car. I’ve never been stopped or entered or anything. Have you?

as a matter of interest I have been stopped and checked over riding solo on a motorbike. why?

Stopped many times. On one occasion, a charming, big, strong customs officer removed the door wedge which stopped our toilet door opening when moving in order to look in the toilet compartment. Unfortunately, he replaced it so firmly that we (two frail OAPs) had a very difficult job removing it later!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back