snow chains

If it's bad enough to need chains I'd stay put, but I would carry snow socks.

French law specifies that in certain communes, vehicles must be equipped between 01/11 and 31/03 with 3PMSF tyres (M+S permitted until 01/11/2024) or carry metal snow chains or textile snow socks. The plastic cable ties detailed above therefore do not comply with the legal requirement. The communes are located within 34 départements. There is a map showing the areas concerned at https://www.securite-routiere.gouv....-en-voiture/equipement-de-la-voiture/nouveaux and there is an Excel file listing the communes (sorted by département and alphabetically within département) at https://www.securite-routiere.gouv....022_liste_communes_equipements_hivernaux.xlsx

Just a question if the map above is correct. If I travel via Bordeaux and cross the border at irun I am missing the mountain areas and similarly over on the east going down to Barcelona. I wouldn’t need snow chains in that case. Is that correct?

Just a question if the map above is correct. If I travel via Bordeaux and cross the border at irun I am missing the mountain areas and similarly over on the east going down to Barcelona. I wouldn’t need snow chains in that case. Is that correct?
That certainly appears to be the legal situation; can't comment on what weather you'll encounter. :) Moreover, the education rather than penalty approach has been carried over for this winter as well. (See the yellow highlighted text on the web page to which I linked.)

We carry snow socks because they are so much lighter than chains and hardly take any space at all.
Always got them on hand in case they are ever needed in snow or mud.

We carry snow socks because they are so much lighter than chains and hardly take any space at all.
Always got them on hand in case they are ever needed in snow or mud.
They may be useful, but snow socks do not meet the French legal requirement.

France's Mountain Law: rules and regulationsThe rules require all vehicles to have winter or 4-season tyres and/or to have non-slip snow chains or 'socks' mounted on the vehicle (or at minimum present in the vehicle) when driving in the above-mentioned departements during the winter season.

Can’t see any objection to snow socks here or am I missing something?

You are correct. That's the way we go to Spain every January. I still carry snow socks and now have a bunch of the orange cable tie things that Ken links to above, just in case.

Certainty the last 2 years going down this route there has been snow on the side of the road in Spain although none on the French side.

we have bought some because on our way back we like to go through the somport tunnel & by law you must have them .these are ours dont like the plastic things or socks when you have just 1 drive wheel pulling 3.500gk up to 6000gk up a hill dont think they will cut the mustard . just trying them incase needed in the warmth of the spanish winter ready for our trip back home . cheyenne

DSC02639.JPG

Ref Chains/ Snow Socks
There is a useful map here from the French Government showing where Snow Chains/Socks are required by law between November 1st & March 31st.
It's worth noting the a huge area of the Massif Central, around, and south of, Clermont Ferrand, is included. So if you are considering the A75 route through Millau down to Spain you will need them.

"Still to allow time to adapt to the obligation to have winter equipment as provided for by the mountain law and its implementing decree, no sanctions will be applied during this 2023-2024 winter season."

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back